Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi all,

I'm exporting four A0 tiles of a 1:25K topo map with our Asset locations from ArcMap and i'm going to piece them together to make a large wall map in our regional office........But i'm having problems with the file sizes that I am exporting. Usually I export to a PDF because it seems to hold quality quite nicely, but in this case the file sizes of the PDF's will be much too large.

Any one got any tips on how they handle documents with these dimensions and the preferred export format from ArcGIS?

Andrew

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

If its all vector, it shouldn't be that immense, if exported at 300 dpi.
If you are printing directly to a printer w/o a lot of memory, or ripping capabilities, then you may have to rip it with ArcPress.

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Australia

Not all vector unfortunately. I have raster topo from the state lands dept as the background.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

There a variety of things to consider (are you using any transparency, what's your smallest type size, etc.), but when I run into difficulties with ArcGIS exports, file sizes, and plotter RIP's - I export a TIF.

300 dpi is often good enough, but if you have a high level of concern for legibility, you can export at a higher resolution (600 dpi) then resample it in Photoshop to 300 dpi. The "bicubic sharper" resampling algorithm works very well and the difference between it and a 300dpi export from ArcGIS is noticeable. While you're in Photoshop convert it to CMYK and the plotter will thank you with a very quick RIP.

Not all vector unfortunately. I have raster topo from the state lands dept as the background.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Australia

Thanks Matthew I will give that a try.

The map I have is simple three layers 1 vector, 1 annotation, and one raster all with no transparency. I'll let you know how I do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->