12 replies to this topic

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Hello fellow cartographers. I am trying something tricky here.

I want to label my contours(in 100 meter intervals), and i need to break the contour lines, showing the label on top of the line. I am aware that a good presentation method would be to apply halo to the labels, to get satisfying results. In my case though, the background of my map is changing gradually(as the elevation is rising), therefore the halo method works fine only in the places that the halo color matches the background color. My idea (and desire) is to place the the labels on the contour lines, but leaving behind the labels an empty space.

Overall and ideally, I am looking for a method, that would leave an empty space( behind my labels) on the contours..
Please, can you think of any satisfactory solution?

Thanks for your patience!!

Andreas

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

What software are you using?

I know ArcMap has masking options for doing this sort of thing. Possibly other software has similar options.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

What software are you using?

I know ArcMap has masking options for doing this sort of thing. Possibly other software has similar options.

Thanks Dave for your reply.
I am using ArcMap (ArcEditor License with Maplex).
With this software I am looking for a solution.

mrishi

mrishi

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States
You might want to look at the Label-Contour solution with Label-EZ from MapText.
They offer even coordinated contour labeling including the actual masking (breaking) of underlying contour lines.

Rishi

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Well, we don't have any extensions to do any cool contour effects, so I'm stuck with default ArcMap options.

I've found that coloring the halo the same color as your index contour and keeping the text white is kind of a cheap fix for contour labeling.

Attached File  contours.jpg   66.3KB   152 downloads

:blink:

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Well, we don't have any extensions to do any cool contour effects, so I'm stuck with default ArcMap options.

I've found that coloring the halo the same color as your index contour and keeping the text white is kind of a cheap fix for contour labeling.

Search the ESRI site for "variable depth masking" - that's what you are looking for. Here's a start: ESRI - Variable Depth Masking Help
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Thank you Michael
I use the same technique and the results are like your sample map.
There must be a better way

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

There must be a better way

The better way is the one suggested by Jeff. Please take a look at the link he provided. :)
Thanks, Jeff! :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Well, I'd like to use the better way, but I only have the ArcDesktop license, and thus lack the applicable cartography tools that come with the ArcInfo license, hence the cheap fix. :(

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Regarding contour labels and placement (not masking or halo's) - here is a good article.

Once they were in the right spot - I wonder if you could intersect them with the elevation and apply a different color halo based on your elevation tint? Kind-of a hack job, but it's cheap! B)

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • United States

Well, I'd like to use the better way, but I only have the ArcDesktop license, and thus lack the applicable cartography tools that come with the ArcInfo license, hence the cheap fix. :(

Sorry, I should've asked what license level, too.

So, with an ArcView license you can't uase the tool to automatically generate the masking layer. You can, however, enable masking with any license level as long as you have a layer to use for masking. It would be more work, but you could create a masking layer manually, or maybe you could get someone who does have an ArcInfo license to use the tool to create the layer for you.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Andreas Michos

Andreas Michos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Greece

Search the ESRI site for "variable depth masking" - that's what you are looking for. Here's a start: ESRI - Variable Depth Masking Help

Thanks Dave that was an awesome solution!!!
I also found this link: http://edndoc.esri.c...AnnoPolyCon.htm (Converting Annotation to Polygons).
Do you think is there such a thing like a proper command or geoprocessing tool that could do the same thing?
If there is one then this command is a lifesaver for the ones that cannot afford an Arc Info license or don't have a friend that can do it for them...
Cheers guys. You had all been very helpful

Covasnianu Adrian

Covasnianu Adrian

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Romania

You can try also in Global Mapper.
GIS user

PhD geographer
CUGUAT-TIGRIS Research Center