• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

It's not very often that I get a lot of contracts, so I haven't really had a lot to show so far but I have decided to show a quick design that I have patterned somewhat from the European gradient project. However I have added some add locations & a shadow to the landmass. This particular project is not a final product, nor is it intended to be, it is a sample that I have submitted to a potential client. And the only way I'm going to get anywhere in this field is to start submitting some of these samples, note I did not include waterbodies, or any official layout.

Attached File  SicilyN.jpg   60.83KB   270 downloads

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Yes, I would encourage everyone who operates their own mapping/gis/cartography business to "keep busy" in between projects producing material. It adds to your portfolio AND you actually get to map places you choose and in ways that are completely up to YOU, not your client. In other words...ITS FUN!!!!

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Colors work very well
The shadow effect however is Ok on the landmass but distracting on the smaller islands.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I would echo Jean-Loius's comments and add that some of the labels feel a little off. It could be that some of the provinces are on curved (or tilted) baselines - but it isn't consistent - and then the Sicily label seems a little curved too.

I would have the inclination to keep the provinces on a straight baseline (with the exception being Caltanissetta) and perhaps move the Sicily label so it isn't visually bothered by the provincial boundaries.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

tmccann

tmccann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

I like the colors you used on the map. They look kind of metallic. What are they? Something different than the normal MSoft blue, red, and green, obviously.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

I like the colors you used on the map. They look kind of metallic. What are they?

A simple gradient with a rotation factor of 320°. The shadow effect may have also helped a little.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

MapLaTerre

MapLaTerre

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Running, hot yoga, nutrition, travelling, my dog, family and friends.
  • Canada

I would further Matthew's comment about the word 'Sicily' by making the letters larger and spaced further apart (increase the kerning) to span most of your mappable area. This trick is fitting the letters in between the rest of the map text.

Sue

Sue

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

A few suggestions:

-Blue is usually associated with waterbodies, therfore, some of your areas (provinces?) look like lakes.
-Include a locater map (ie: where is Sicily located in regards to the rest of Europe and/or Italy).
-Choose a different colour for each area. For example, you have 2 areas that are exactly the same colour green.
-As Sicily is an island, you should make reference to the surronding body of water (ie: Bay of .... or Ocean X).

Hope this helps,

Susan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->