10 replies to this topic

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Long time reader, 3rd time poster! I'm a GIS consultant doing a lot of natural resources based projects in solar and salmon right now. I also produce webinars to enhance geospatial professional's job skills (right now in the realm of creativity), am on a GISCI board, and have a book on cartography coming out in March. Looking forward to becoming a part of this board. Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Gretchen, and welcome to Cartotalk. Please tell us more about your upcoming book ;)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Hi Gretchen, and welcome to Cartotalk. Please tell us more about your upcoming book ;)

Hi Hans,

Thanks for asking about the book. The title is, "GIS Cartography: A Guide to Effective Map Design" published by CRC Press. More information is on the book website!

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hello Gretchen, Glad you are posting - will see you and others at NACIS 09.

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

From a former Pacific Northwesterner and a fellow natural resources, conservation, and environmental mapper...WELCOME!!

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Welcome to the site!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Welcome to the forum Gretchen. Glad to have another NWester on board.

Looking forward to perusing your book. Can you give us a little teaser - like the TOC or references?

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Absolutely! Here is a boiled-down version of the TOC. I will have the full TOC on the book's website within the month:

Chapter 1 Introduction - how long it takes to make a good map, audience for the book (beginners but everyone will probably get something out of it, with novices getting the most out of it)...

Chapter 2 Creative Inspiration - I argue that GIS professionals need to keep exercising our right-brains in order to remain relevant, make good maps, etc.

Chapter 3 Layout Design - Any element that you can think of to put on a map from the map itself to graphs to graticules are discussed here including where to place them, best practices, and styles. There are 25 elements explored here as well as general content on arrangement, how to make an emphasis map, when to use simplicity and when to add complexity, margins, and balance.

Chapter 4 Fonts - A primer on fonts. You cartographers already know all about fonts but GIS professionals don't always have this knowledge. Choosing the right font, how to modify the font, point sizes for different viewing distances, text direction, placing the text, etc.

Chapter 5 Color - A primer on color theory which, again, you cartographers probably already know about! Discussion on different color systems like RGB, Hexadecimal, HSV, HSL, CMYK, CIELAB; color "rules", figure-ground, choropleth mapping, color connotations, color blending, contrast, and finally, a treatise on toning down our over-use of color.

Chapter 6 Features - This is a lengthy chapter going into detail on 20 feature-types such as hydrography, population centers, parcels, trails, temperature, soils, basins, utilities, etc. and best practices for each of these data types. It's meant to be used as a reference as in, "Gee, I have to put some geology data on a map but I don't know anything about geology, so let me flip to the geology section of the book and figure out what standard color-schemes there are, who the cartographic standards people are in relation to this data type. . ."

Chapter 7 Media - Slides, reports, posters, web, dual purposes, DPI, Export considerations, etc.

Appendices: layout sketches for inspiration and copying if you so wish, map examples, color swatches used in the book.

That was probably more than a "taste"! Perhaps I will copy/paste the text of this post for use on my book's website now. :)
Thanks for asking and I do hope that you are able to get a copy of the book and that you enjoy it. I welcome any feedback on the book once it comes out, of course.

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Looks so interesting!

I can't wait to have a look at it! :)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for posting more details! That sounds like a very interesting book.

Is it being marketed as more of a textbook (I am not too familiar with CRC Press)? I think it will fit a much needed niche as there are more than a few GIS people out there who really don't know how to make a map that straddles both art and science. I hope it sells like hotcakes!

Be sure to give us poke when it's published!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Gretchen Peterson

Gretchen Peterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • United States

Hi Gretchen,

Thanks for posting more details! That sounds like a very interesting book.

Is it being marketed as more of a textbook (I am not too familiar with CRC Press)? I think it will fit a much needed niche as there are more than a few GIS people out there who really don't know how to make a map that straddles both art and science. I hope it sells like hotcakes!

Be sure to give us poke when it's published!

The audience for the book is two-fold:
primary audience = GIS professionals in their first few years on the job
secondary audience = undergraduate and graduate students and later-career GIS professionals

The writing is not textbookish. Rather, it is conversational in tone while trying to be thorough in coverage. So in that sense it is certainly not like a traditional textbook. I also hope it sells like hotcakes but of course the readers will be the judge of that. :)

If you want to help support me, here is my Amazon account link: GIS Cartography Book I would certainly appreciate that very much.

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->