bebe onea

bebe onea

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Romania

Hello,
I have a shapefile representing roads and I need to split the polylines at every intersection. Can anyone tell me a way how to do it?
Thank you.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have a shapefile representing roads and I need to split the polylines at every intersection. Can anyone tell me a way how to do it?
Thank you.

Which software are you using? In FME: Intersector. In Manifold: Intersection. In ArcMap too iirc.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

The manual way in Manifold is to first select the line by a ctrl-alt mouse click which shows the shape of a dark grey square known as a handle. Then what you must do is a right click of the mouse, select branch, then split, this does not split the line as a feature but it does allow the user to do some additional tasks such as deleting the portion of line that has been split without deleting the entire feature, so just think as a two lines in one feature. What you need to do to finalize the split as a single feature is to slightly move the handle, now notice that after splitting the branch that a second handle has been created, by slightly moving the handle of the line you intend to create the new feature. So now use the transform toolbar & using the drop down list make sure that: "Selection" "Split By" "Selection" then hit Apply. Here we go you now have two separate lines, but beware by creating that second line you have in effect created a 0 values in any numbered field, so if it is necessary you will have to edit the table.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

pradipgulekar

pradipgulekar

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Mapping GIS Photogrammetry.
  • India

In each software there is batch cleanup process for vector data.
Please look out for that.
U can send me your file at pradipgulekar@gmail.com
I can run process over here & send it to you.

Thanks.
Pradip L. gulekar.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Hi!!!

If you are well versed in ESRI - ArcGIS , it can do this work
AutoCAD can do this at a relatively speed turn around time.
If really needed anyone in this forum can deliver, what you want free of time..

Thanks
GISGURU

Hello,
Thank you.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->