5 replies to this topic

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

What are some ways of splitting contour lines so that they can be colored to reflect a change in land cover (ex. blue contours over glaciers)? I've tried doing this in Illustrator's pathfinder but have had no luck. Cutting the the lines manually is not an option. (I'm also working in ArcGIS and Photoshop, if those tools might help.) Any tips?

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You could try to play with masks. Duplicate the contours and create a blue layer with everything, except the glaciers, masked out. And do the opposite on the main contours layer.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Another method you could use is to prep the data on the GIS side first by intersecting the contour lines by landcover. Before you export to Illustrator classify/symbolize the contour lines by land cover (you can "select by color" in Illustrator and change to the appropriate color of choice).

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Mapper_Mac

Mapper_Mac

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

What are some ways of splitting contour lines so that they can be colored to reflect a change in land cover (ex. blue contours over glaciers)? I've tried doing this in Illustrator's pathfinder but have had no luck. Cutting the the lines manually is not an option. (I'm also working in ArcGIS and Photoshop, if those tools might help.) Any tips?

In ArcMap you can add a field in the attributes database, (call it something that makes sense to you) then select all of the contours that you want a different color and label them in the new column you made (something that makes sense to you). Then all you have to do is choose categories in the symbology tab of the layer properties and add the newly created attribute field to the list and symbolize it any way you want. You have to start an editing session in order to do this.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

You might have some success using blend modes and opacity (here's a tutorial). Blend modes control how colors interact with the colors on layers beneath them. It sometimes takes a lot of experimenting to get the right result, but it may be worth a try.
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • United States

Thanks everyone! Matthew's method worked best for my purposes. I did most of it in ArcGIS (with spatial analyst.) Here's my procedure, in case anyone else could benefit:

1. Reclassified my land cover data to isolate the category I was interested in (reclassing it to "1" and everything else as "0").
2. Used "Raster to Polygon" tool to convert the land cover raster to a vector layer
3. Used "Intersect" tool to intersect the contours with the land cover vector layer
4. Changed the symbology of the resulting contour layer to category/unique values, using the "gridcode" in the value field so that I could select different colors for the "0" contours and the "1" contours (the ones that overlapped the land cover)
5. Exported this contour layer to Illy and adjusted the colors by using "Select Same - Stroke Color"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->