3 replies to this topic

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Does anyone in here have an advice on learning AutoCAD to apply GIS ? Is there some good website about it ? I am learning to use AutoCAD 2007 software .

Thanks,
Robert

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Not sure what you are asking for. Do you mean taking a dwg and bringing it into a GIS like ArcGIS or MapInfo? Or do mean learning about Autodesk's GIS built on AutoCAD called Map3D. AUGI has a good source of information. I haven't been there in a while but it used to be free. http://www.augi.com/home/default.asp I used AutoCAD for a number of years and think it is great software, but Map3D never cut it for me as a GIS but it has changed a lot in the last few years so who knows. My ideal GIS software though would be the editing and command line capabilities of AutoCAD with the data and geoprocessing functionalities of ArcGIS.

Hope that helps,
David

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

I am guessing you are not a student. But if you are (or have access to a student?) then you can visit www.students.autodesk.com which is very good for learning autocad and you can even download all autodesk software for free including autocad and map3d.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

The best way to learn a new software is to a lesson that exactly relates to your field, now far too often tutorials are produced for other fields, it can be frustrating & & as a cartographer we need consultants from within our field to produce those products for us. Now as far as Autocad is concerned I have kept all of my lessons as it relates to our ield, though they are old since the results were produced in 2002. However I think they are likely still useful assuming AutoCad has not changed so dramatically that it is now a foreign language. As a matter of fact AutoCad was one of my strong suites & what I had found most interesting was having the ability to script for example I got tired of always using the command line to -layer or -color.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->