• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Hiking, Natural History, Photgraphy, Travel, Food
  • United States

Greetings,
If you have a chance please look at the PDF maps here:

Maps for feedback

I would like any comments about them that would help make improvements.

Thanks,
-Mike

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Greetings,

Maps for feedback

Thanks,
-Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Golf course map:
Have you tried using a legend to represent the buildings? As a reader, I don't know what NWCH or SB or NMA means. Also a legend would help tidy things up. I think it will make the map itself look a lot cleaner. For the numbering design of the courses, using a circle around the number is adding to the number of shapes in the map, which is visually disctracting. try using a bolder and unique font for the numbers. I personally do not use vertical text (vip parking), perhaps this can be represented in the legend as a symbol or color.

White Park Trails:
I would try to clean up the curving text. sometimes a simpler line can be more effective than following exactly the path of the trail.

The legend elements needs a bit of reorganization. is it necessary for a box to surround the legend? since the background is white, the box is not distinguishing itself from the rest of the map. since the trails in your map are curvy, this adds a jarring effect (especially in it's current placement where it sits between two ends of a trail). also the disclaimer and the centering of the text creates an imbalance with the copyright text below it. those elements should be more subtle, off in a corner or have lighter text. A simpler looking scale (not the checker board) will be more effective. try playing with the divisions and see if you can simplify it.

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Hiking, Natural History, Photgraphy, Travel, Food
  • United States

Hi Mike
RE the golf course map - the legend was done by graphics dept of the printer.
I should have mentioned that.

White Park Trails:
"I would try to clean up the curving text."

Could you be more specific? I admit to being overzeoulous with the spline tool in ArcView - but I like that curvy text!

"the box is not distinguishing itself from the rest of the map. since the trails in your map are curvy, this adds a jarring effect "
Do you think the legend is too prominant? I get stuck in a rut with these things and my lack of creativitiy does not help.

Your points about the scale bar and disclaimer are right on the money and I will cogitate on this.

Thanks,
-Mike

Greetings,

Maps for feedback

Thanks,
-Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Golf course map:
Have you tried using a legend to represent the buildings? As a reader, I don't know what NWCH or SB or NMA means. Also a legend would help tidy things up. I think it will make the map itself look a lot cleaner. For the numbering design of the courses, using a circle around the number is adding to the number of shapes in the map, which is visually disctracting. try using a bolder and unique font for the numbers. I personally do not use vertical text (vip parking), perhaps this can be represented in the legend as a symbol or color.

White Park Trails:
I would try to clean up the curving text. sometimes a simpler line can be more effective than following exactly the path of the trail.

The legend elements needs a bit of reorganization. is it necessary for a box to surround the legend? since the background is white, the box is not distinguishing itself from the rest of the map. since the trails in your map are curvy, this adds a jarring effect (especially in it's current placement where it sits between two ends of a trail). also the disclaimer and the centering of the text creates an imbalance with the copyright text below it. those elements should be more subtle, off in a corner or have lighter text. A simpler looking scale (not the checker board) will be more effective. try playing with the divisions and see if you can simplify it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • United States

Greetings,
Maps for feedback

Thanks,
-Mike

Mike,

After reviewing your map samples, I think that the biggest area of improvement you could probably make with those images relates to the use of text and a bit of attention to final detail. The kerning/leading of type seems to vary widely within some of the design pieces and/or not be optimized for the particular design presentation of the information itself. Also, there are several "little things" which detract from the aesthetic quality of some of the pieces, including:

2dye_golf_course.pdf
- all of the confusing text codes that don't have a legend attached to them
- the hole number identifiers not always being centered within their bounding circle (most identifiers have that problem)
- your detailed depiction of fairways, greens and optimal ball trajectories, but no depiction of tee boxes (seems like they are missing).

White_Park_June_16_05.pdf
- lots of text not being centered or placed in their optimal location (IMHO)
- the ice rink partially overlapping a portion of the trail
- issues with parallel and perpendicular lines (parking NW of ice rink, East Parkway and Vo-Tech center, "Mississippi Street" text label not being parallel to street, etc.)
- layering of streets on top of streets (lighter "minor" streets are overlapping the darker, "major" streets, when I think the better solution would be to have the "minor" street layered beneath the "major" streets)

Wmoore_10_05a.pdf
- similar minor issues to the ones mentioned above
- text labels on the map overlapping lines (which makes the text harder to read)
- the typeface (Arial? Helvetica?) also looks a little "blah" or out of place to me

I also thought the wording of your disclaimer was interesting: "This map is not intended for navigation." I'm wondering if there is a better way of saying that, as IMHO, ALL maps are "intended for navigation"....guiding you from Point A to Point B, and you even go so far as to include a scale on some of those maps! If it is not accurately depicted, then the scale is not telling the truth and could/should be removed. Either that, or better phrasing of your disclaimer might be needed.

Sorry to "nit-pick"! I live in and love the details, however, so the above information are usually the types of thing I look for which separate out the "good" maps from the "great" ones. Of course, the amount of time and attention you pay to some of those issue might directly related to the amount of time and budget you have to work with...but those are some of the little, "subtle" touches that will make your work appear to be much more attractive to an end-user.

Hope that helps! I'll try and eventually put some of my own work from our web site at tonnhaus.com up for scruitiny too! :) I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

One more tip: On your web site (www.mapsbymike.com), PLEASE do not use .jpg file format for displaying drawn imagery! The appearance and clarity of the maps is reduced (especially when you have incorporated text into your images), and the file sizes are roughly 50-60+ percent larger than their 8-bit .png equivalents.....the best file format to use when publishing maps and diagrams to the Web.

If you want to ever talk about things, feel free to email/PM/IM me. I am happy to help as much as time will allow. Good luck!

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

I think your golfcourse map could do with some reference to the topography and surrounding foliage and trees of the course itself. Even if they are not the main focus of the map. If you find yourself doing a lot of work in this area you may want to take a look at some of the graphics produced by landscape architects. Even running a search on Google for 'Golf Course Architecture' or 'Golf Course Architects' should bring up some websites for landscape architects working in this field.

As a start check out Rob LeBlanc's work in Halifax on his company's website:

Ekistics
http://www.ekistics.net/

He does golfcourse architecture as part of his practice.

A lot of his work on the website is by hand, however you can obviously get great results with Illustrator using gradients and tree symbols in the symbol sprayer.

Cheers,

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->