9 replies to this topic

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Thanks for such a great community! I’ve been reading and benefiting from CartoTalk for a long time. Now that I've posted a few times I figure I'd better finally make a formal introduction.

I’d been the director of the Indiana Geographic Information Council for the past 10 years, though recently resigned to pursue my "next stage" geo-dreams. I fell in love with geography for both the art and the science - particularly because I loved cartography. But I found my career headed heavily in the direction of science and technology with GIS/policy/spatial data infrastructures. Now don’t get me wrong, I love that stuff and I LOVE enabling people to make maps! But I’ve been needing more art back in my life. Know your strengths - I’m a better enabler than I am a cartographer. So what’s next? Enabling people to make maps using new map illustration software (Ortelius for Mac OX). (Note, I was also a frustrated Mac user in need of some good mapping software!) I’ve been extremely fortunate to find my new business partner, Graham Cox, and we are getting ready to launch Ortelius this Spring. In fact, if you're interested we’ll be doing a workshop introducing Ortelius at the AAG in March in Las Vegas.

Part of what this means is I’m freed up to be more of a participant in CartoTalk and NACIS. I hope we get a chance to meet soon. And please forgive the shameless self-promotion - I’m just really excited to be here!

- Jill
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hello Jill (aka MapDiva)! Great intro, and especially exciting for MAC users to anticipate your software.

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

Hello, Jill! I am looking forward to see the new software for Mac users! (Of course, many Mac-GIS users will be excited to see the software!! Keep up posted!!

Cheers,
K :)

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Hi Jill,

When is the expected release for Ortelius?
It looks like an interesting project, and I am anxious to see the product in it's working stage!

Are you considering a Beta release? I'm sure a few of us CartoTalkers would love to put it to task.
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

Welcome to the forum!

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Canada

I'm intrigued but would need a PC version . . . any chance that is on your list?

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Thank you all for your warm welcome.

We are busily preparing for our 1.0 release this Spring. We'll be introducing Ortelius at the AAG conference and planning to provide a first public beta release to workshop attendees. Graham and I will both be there and would welcome meeting you in person and discussing Ortelius in more depth. I hope you'll be able to make it, but if not a formal release will follow shortly thereafter. All feedback is most appreciated.

In response to a few comments, Ortelius is currently being developed for Mac OSX (Leopard) only. This platform enables many capabilities only available through the Mac OS. A future Windows version is not out of the question, but not currently under development. In one respect, Ortelius is being designed to help bridge the gap in mapping software options for Mac users. In another respect, its being designed to help bridge the gap to map-making for non-GIS users. In my experience with GIS and other mapping programs, Ortelius is uniquely positioned as a dedicated map illustration program (falling mid-way between an illustration program and a GIS) (if you're interested in other GIS options for the Mac, I've reviewed a couple nice ones here ;) ).

We'll definitely keep everyone posted over the coming weeks through the News & Press Releases forum.

All the best,
Jill
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
www.mapdiva.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Dr. Jill - mapdiva,

Ortelius sounds like an exciting entry into the mapmaking software market. I'm very intrigued to try it. I'm not too sure I'll be in Vegas for AAG, but hopefully we'll see you in Sacramento for NACIS.

Can you give us mapgeeks a little teaser on Ortelius's functionality, like maybe imports/exports? :)

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Hi Dr. Jill - mapdiva,

Ortelius sounds like an exciting entry into the mapmaking software market. I'm very intrigued to try it. I'm not too sure I'll be in Vegas for AAG, but hopefully we'll see you in Sacramento for NACIS.

Can you give us mapgeeks a little teaser on Ortelius's functionality, like maybe imports/exports? :)

I'm definitely planning on attending NACIS this year. I have been very active in NSGIC for several years and with overlapping conference dates this year will be my first NACIS meeting. Looking forward to it.

Ortelius uses its own file format and comes pre-loaded with several generic map templates (continent and country outlines, etc.). In the first release, it can import Shapefiles (with Douglas-Pecuker simplification option), as well as drag and drop JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP, PDF (as graphic). Since there is intelligence (at least potentially ;) ) behind the graphics, you can do things like auto-label and drop highway shields onto roads with route numbers. Export to pdf, tif, jpg, and png. Anti-aliased vector graphics are nice. While we have a lot planned for Ortelius, we hope you'll find the core in our first release to be a nice set of features. Of course you can just start drawing your map from scratch with line, shape, and Bezier curve drawing tools (no GIS necessary to get started).

Note we'll have standard and professional editions with varying features.

We're building our website currently and will have a full feature list posted VERY soon. Thanks!
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
www.mapdiva.com

tmccann

tmccann

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • No Country Selected

Ortelius uses its own file format and comes pre-loaded with several generic map templates (continent and country outlines, etc.). In the first release, it can import Shapefiles (with Douglas-Pecuker simplification option), as well as drag and drop JPEG, TIFF, GIF, PNG, BMP, PDF (as graphic). Since there is intelligence (at least potentially ;) ) behind the graphics, you can do things like auto-label and drop highway shields onto roads with route numbers. Export to pdf, tif, jpg, and png. Anti-aliased vector graphics are nice. While we have a lot planned for Ortelius, we hope you'll find the core in our first release to be a nice set of features. Of course you can just start drawing your map from scratch with line, shape, and Bezier curve drawing tools (no GIS necessary to get started).

Note we'll have standard and professional editions with varying features.

We're building our website currently and will have a full feature list posted VERY soon. Thanks!

Yeah, but what about ipod Touch support? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->