• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi folks,

I've waited a bit not to steal Hugo's, Hans and Damien's "moments of glory", and since it's been on and off for a couple months now, some of you could already seen it, but it's my turn to proudly announce the launching of my professional website: www.fgcartographix.com.

I have updated my portfolio with too much stuff, but I can't choose right now what to take out. Also, the link page isn't online yet, but it should be very soon.

Any comments are welcome!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

C'est tres jolie, François!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

This may just be me, but I'm not crazy about white text on a black background (sitting here typing this on a black keyboard with white letters/numbers/etc.!).
Otherwise, after a quick perusal I think it looks good. The Francais/English button is very nice and seems to work well.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

In general, I have to agree about white text -- it's almost a "Graphics 101" no-no. I've done a few maps this way, but only when the client insists on it. On the other hand, if there isn't a whole lot of text, it can add interest without sacrificing too much legibiity. I think your pages are light enough on text that it actually works.

One little thing -- your Links button leads to the Services page.

I do like the clean, simple design. It would be nice if we could see some of those gorgeous maps up close! B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

In general, I have to agree about white text -- it's almost a "Graphics 101" no-no. I've done a few maps this way, but only when the client insists on it. On the other hand, if there isn't a whole lot of text, it can add interest without sacrificing too much legibiity. I think your pages are light enough on text that it actually works.

One little thing -- your Links button leads to the Services page.

I do like the clean, simple design. It would be nice if we could see some of those gorgeous maps up close! B)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

I'll think about that white text. I've shown some designs to friends and colleague and it's this one they preferred. It can still be change. Graphic "rules" and what people like are two things... it's like cartographic conventions and what clients want... Sometime you'll have to say "I'm not suppose to do that, but I'll do it anyway" ;) Seriously, I'll rethink that white text :P

I though of adding an icon next to some of my favorite maps to link to a Zoomify page or something. I'll definitely do something about it. I though of adding the possibility to download some in pdf, but there's legal issues here. I did most of them while being employed (on staff, not by contract) and even though I can use them for promotion, I'm not sure they'd like me to distribute them for free while you would have to pay 55$ for the school book in which they are...

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your comments... always constructive...

DrJill

DrJill

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

Francois - I love the website. Very clean and fresh (I like the black ;)). Your portfolio page is especially nice.
Jill Saligoe-Simmel
Ortelius™ – map illustration software for Mac OS X
www.mapdiva.com

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

I agree, the portfolio page is a treat. I like the effect of the pseudo-book images.

But the issue with the white text isn't just a matter of "graphics rules". The retinal burn in of the white letters causes visual ghosting, making successive lines harder and harder to read. Just knocking it down to a light gray would help out in that regard. For printed material (like DaveB's keyboard!), white on black can look really nice, but I would avoid it in any screen-based materials.

Good luck with the site!

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

I'll take everything into consideration...

Thanks guys!

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

That is a stunning portfolio Francios!

Maybe putting one of those on the landing/home page to get people engaged in your work from the onset?

I wish you success in 2009!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->