- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Jared79

Jared79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

Im changing my coordinate system to wgs 84 for a map in Utah and there is an option for WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_12N orWGS_1984_UTM_Zone_12S, Im pretty sure I pick WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_12N. Is this correct? Also I need to pick a datum and the options are NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_1 with the last digit being anywhere from 1-7, which do I pick and what do those mean?

\Thanks

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Im changing my coordinate system to wgs 84 for a map in Utah and there is an option for WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_12N orWGS_1984_UTM_Zone_12S, Im pretty sure I pick WGS_1984_UTM_Zone_12N. Is this correct? Also I need to pick a datum and the options are NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984_1 with the last digit being anywhere from 1-7, which do I pick and what do those mean?

\Thanks

The 12S is for the southern hemisphere so you here right to choose the 12N.

There's an article on ESRI Support: HowTo: Determine which NAD_1983_To_WGS_1984 transformation to use

After a quick scan, the _5 should be the right one for Utah, but you'd better read carefully the article. As they say, "WGS 1984 is tied to the International Terrestrial Reference System (ITRF), which is independent of the tectonic plates. Over time, the two coordinate systems are increasingly different" so different transformation methods will give you different results (some have a +/- 8m accuracy).

Jared79

Jared79

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • No Country Selected

THANKS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->