Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Hi!

I'm thinking to apply in some associations about cartography, geography and survey, but I have some doubts, and would appreciate some experiences about. I'm a brazilian geographer and work in a geobussiness company, acting in rural and urban land surveys and cadastral.

Here is some associations:

• AAG - Association of American Geographers
  • NACIS - North American Cartographic Information Society
  • FIG - International Federation of Surveyors
  • GITA

I'm in doubt about the real benefits in marketing and networking for personal and company perspectives.

Thanks,

Raphael Saldanha

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Raphael,

You may impress clients with your professional associations, but I think merely the 'association' itself is worthless unless you participate in the group you join.
I have found many clients through my interaction with this forum, and you may too.

Also, if you can publish some new work in the association's publication, that is one way to increase your stature and visibility. There are many benefits to belong and participating in the
associations you listed.

Good luck!

Raphael Saldanha

Raphael Saldanha

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Brazil

Raphael,

You may impress clients with your professional associations, but I think merely the 'association' itself is worthless unless you participate in the group you join.
I have found many clients through my interaction with this forum, and you may too.

Also, if you can publish some new work in the association's publication, that is one way to increase your stature and visibility. There are many benefits to belong and participating in the
associations you listed.

Good luck!

Maybe I don't express correctly. Naturally, we found clients with our competence, interactions, networking etc. The intentions in apply in some associations is for professional associations, and interaction with the society.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,891 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The big benefit of joining a professional society (or even a forum such as Cartotalk) lies in the fact that it's a way of getting in touch with others in the field and exchange ideas with them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Mike Boruta

Mike Boruta

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Another one to add to your list would be the ICA - International Cartographic Association.
The next ICA conference is in November, in Santiago, Chile.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Another one to add to your list would be the ICA - International Cartographic Association.
The next ICA conference is in November, in Santiago, Chile.

Note that ICA participation is through national cartographic groups. In the US it's CAGIS (another group to look at); not sure about Brazil.

From your list, AAG is enormous, and basically anyone who wants to give a paper can give a paper, so there's a fair amount of chaff to sort through. And it's all things geographic; cartography is a relatively small part. That said, I enjoyed the session I went to in Chicago a couple years ago.

NACIS is my organizational "home turf" (and that of many other Carto-Talkers)

Look at the Society of Cartographers, which I think of as NACIS's equivalent in the United Kingdom.

I'm curious if there's anything like NACIS in continental Europe or Australasia, or really anywhere else in the world?

Finally, if you are interested in map publishing as a business, consider the International Map Trade Association. There's not much cartography per sé anymore, but it is the place to meet fellow businessfolk and make deals.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

Mark C

Mark C

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Rafael,
Another association is the International Map Trade Association, at www.maptrade.org
We have three regions, including IMTA (Americas). We do not have members in South America, but want to grow there. We are hoping that the International Cartographic Conference in Santiago, Chile in November 2009 will help us make contacts.
Mark C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->