• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

radu

radu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi guys,
I'm kinda new in GIS. I'm trying to export a shp/shx/dbf set of files into flash. I tried with php mapscript, but I can't export the names of the regions, and it seems each layer is exported in a different swf file. I tried also with FME from safe.com, but that exports just the shapes, not also the region names. Do you know an application that would make that conversion from shp to swf, exporting also the names of the regions from the dbf file?

coldfusionPaul

coldfusionPaul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:GIS, web development, coldfusion, flex, AIR, i18n
  • Thailand

have yu looked at this? http://shp.riaforge.org/

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Hi guys,
I'm kinda new in GIS. I'm trying to export a shp/shx/dbf set of files into flash. I tried with php mapscript, but I can't export the names of the regions, and it seems each layer is exported in a different swf file. I tried also with FME from safe.com, but that exports just the shapes, not also the region names. Do you know an application that would make that conversion from shp to swf, exporting also the names of the regions from the dbf file?

I haven't examined it yet, but the current version of MaPublisher imports from the data formats you specify into Illustrator and exports to Flash.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

kay

kay

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Canada

I am not sure exactly what you would like to make with your shapefile... but I would suggest MAPublisher.

Have you tried MAPublisher with Adobe Illustrator? (http://www.avenza.co...ucts.mapub.html).
You can import the shapefile to Adobe Illustrator... then you can export the GIS data with the attribute information via MAP Web Author :) I tried it out and it has been pretty cool and easy!

Good luck!
K

zforest

zforest

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United States

have yu looked at this? http://shp.riaforge.org/

Not sure how much coding you want to get into or how familiar you are with ActionScript, but the SHP classes linked above by Edwin van Rijkom will convert a shapefile into ActionScript 3 objects that you can then easily deal with (draw, symbolize, project) in your AS3 code. I've experimented a bit with these classes, for projections, isolining, noncontiguous cartograms, and bivariate choropleth maps. I also just released an open-source E00 parser for ActionScript 3, so that topology can be added into the mix of web mapping.

Note that if you're looking for a quick way of going from geodata (shapefile) to online interactive map, this is NOT the way. You'd still have to do all the nitty gritty of figuring out what to do with the information you've parsed from the shapefile.
Zachary Forest Johnson
Cartographer and Software Engineer

indiemaps.com/blog

Frank

Frank

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Australia

In response to the above mentioned 'quick way of going from geodata (shapefile) to online interactive map', for this you could use StatPlanet Lite. It also uses Edwin van Rijkom's SHP classes and enables you to have your interactive map up and running within a few minutes, no progamming or PHP required.

http://www.sacmeq.or...lanet-lite.html

Just replace the files in the map folder with your own files, click on the button 'Setup shapefile' in the Excel-based Data Editor, and your interactive map should be ready (at least, using the included sample data).

Some examples of how to create quantitative / choropleth or qualitative maps using the software are available on the site.

Tripeaky

Tripeaky

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

We were interested because our users needed something rapid to view dbf files and we did not want to use FoxPro. We had another utility that works on Windows 95 and NT but would not work on Windows 98. We tried using Excel but it would only read up to 65, 536 records and some of the files they look at are larger than that. I had looked at another dbfviewer but it did not have all the functionality that yours has.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->