• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi!

For a school project (I'm doing a graduate certificate in GIS - to acquire new skills), I have to create a simple application in VBA/ArcObject.

I though of creating a tool to do the cross sections we often need to do at work (they are not complicated, but the methodology is 3 pages long and it's a pain in the *ss when you have 30 of them to do), but before I settle for it, I though I could ask you if there's a common task you do in Arc for which there's no automatic tool available, like a GUI to select tables, join them and create points as an output, or like the one you can found in Xtools, Hawth's or ET Geowizard.

It has to be simple or otherwise the teacher will not permit me to do it (and I have 4 weeks and it's a school project, not a full time job) and have to be done in VBA and ArcObjects.

Can't promise I'll be able to do any of your ideas (my bosses are very interested in that Cross Section tool), but since it's unlikely that I'll be paid to develop it, I'd like to see if there's not something I didn't think about and could be much more fun to do.

Nevertheless, I'll try to post it afterward.

Thanks!

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Well could you do an interface for DEM's? Or perhaps creating lines from points? Or a custom script for the exportation of multiple shapefiles as individual PDF's?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

Working with the TOC and layers is relatively easy in VBA. You could create a set of layer tools - copy, paste, turn all layers off/on, search for a layer name, mass rename, etc... Not something that would be used all the time, but perhaps when you have 30 layers loaded.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Thanks. Good ideas! I have to write an email to my teacher this week and give him some propositions for him to choose. I'll incorporate yours with mine.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->