• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

There is a way to use Google maps like a layer in arcmap without download it, it will help me to digitize some roads.
i found this, but it crashed twice.
http://www.geo-explo...ri/geoexplorer/

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

There is a way to use Google maps like a layer in arcmap without download it, it will help me to digitize some roads.

There is a similar (unofficial) feature for Manifold. Keep in mind that this is technically not allowed and that Google likes to change servers and urls every now and then.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

nice!!! we use manifold to..... where i coold find this tool?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Netherlands

http://www.manifold....downloads.shtml, scroll down to the ImageServersPack zipfile. This does not support Google Maps (because officially Manifold doesn't support or endorse that), but you can enter your own url in the dialog, so if you figure out where Google is storing its imagery...

I haven't used it in a long time but I do remember it used to take a fair bit of experimenting with the url's.
Red Geographics

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

thank you very much. I find 1.0.2 in sourceforge

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

http://www.manifold....downloads.shtml, scroll down to the ImageServersPack zipfile. This does not support Google Maps (because officially Manifold doesn't support or endorse that), but you can enter your own url in the dialog, so if you figure out where Google is storing its imagery...

I haven't used it in a long time but I do remember it used to take a fair bit of experimenting with the url's.

You will only get the satellite image, so Manifold has given up keeping up with Google however they strongly recommend connecting to Microsoft Virtual World for the digital data.
"Abbas of novus versus"

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Netherlands

You will only get the satellite image, so Manifold has given up keeping up with Google however they strongly recommend connecting to Microsoft Virtual World for the digital data.

You can get the others as well (at least back when I tried it), you just have to know the urls...
Red Geographics

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I don't know if this is against Google's policy, or ethical, but in Google Earth you get essentially the same imagery. You can create points, and polygons in the basic version, then save those digitized features to a kml/kmz file. Those can then be converted to a shapefile. The projection should be WGS84 geographic.

Hope that helps,
David

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

I don't know if this is against Google's policy, or ethical, but in Google Earth you get essentially the same imagery. You can create points, and polygons in the basic version, then save those digitized features to a kml/kmz file. Those can then be converted to a shapefile. The projection should be WGS84 geographic.

Hope that helps,
David

Yes I know, but I have to check the nodes in intersection of lines.....

You can get the others as well (at least back when I tried it), you just have to know the urls...

It works for Virtual Earth Street Map Image, but not for Goole stret maps.... that means I need to renew the url………. Does anyone knows how to find a new one url?

I try the Virtual Earth Street Map but the only information I found was for U.S. I'm looking for Greece, do I have something special?..........

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Netherlands

It works for Virtual Earth Street Map Image, but not for Goole stret maps.... that means I need to renew the url………. Does anyone knows how to find a new one url?

If you have Firefox, go to maps.google.com then right click on the page and pick "Page Info" from the menu. Go to the media page, scroll down until you come across the tiles.

http://mt1.google.co...n...=4&s=Galile is one for example. However, they seem to be spread out over at least 4 servers (mt0 through mt3) and the last bit of the URL, "Galile", is probabely a security measure too. It changes per tile, always a number of letters from the string "Galileo"

There's a relevant discussion on the Manifold forum.
Red Geographics

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

Ok I linked with virtual Earth Street servers and I dowload some images, were I could find the images?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts
  • Netherlands

Ok I linked with virtual Earth Street servers and I dowload some images, were I could find the images?

They're being cached somewhere. One of the things you can do is Tools -> Make Image in Manifold to create a new, single, image from the Virtual Earth tiles.
Red Geographics

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

Ok I use manifold to digitize some roads and everything gone well. But when I tried to export the drawing and opened to Arcgis I couldn’t find the coordinate system. I know the coordinate system is WGS84 (world) in virtual Earth Street servers but when I tried to defined it to shape files (Drawings files, Export to shp files) everything goes wrong.
(In manifold I put the coordinate system)

Edited by Vassilis, 13 February 2009 - 04:04 AM.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Ok I use manifold to digitize some roads and everything gone well. But when I tried to export the drawing and opened to Arcgis I couldn’t find the coordinate system. I know the coordinate system is WGS84 (world) in virtual Earth Street servers but when I tried to defined it to shape files (Drawings files, Export to shp files) everything goes wrong.
(In manifold I put the coordinate system)

Manifold stores projection information as an XML, so I don't know if ArcGIS has the capability of viewing XML as a projection or are they still using the legacy prj files?
"Abbas of novus versus"

burhan sadik

burhan sadik

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Turkey

There is a way to use Google maps like a layer in arcmap (www.xyzmap.com) :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->