josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello all!

Today I have a genuine problem that I really do not know how to solve. I will try to explain.

So I have one access table which has the location of waypoints and their names. I then have another access table which shows which waypoints connect (with lines) to each other and other information related to that waypoint line (such as how busy it is). There is a 'from' column and a 'to' column.

How can I link the two (I have already tried a join) so that I can get lines between waypoints.

So far I tried a join. Also, I made to separate tables for 'from' and 'to' with coordinates and joined them but this again achieved nothing. I can plot the waypoints, this is no problem, but I need the lines.

Any help would be great!

Josie

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Try this:
  • Obtain the coordinates of the waypoints and store them in the waypoint table (assuming you don't have those already)
  • Join the "connections" table with the waypoint table, using the "from" column. Have the connections table inherit the waypoint coordinates and store them as from_x and from_y
  • Join the two tables again, this time using the "to" column and storing the coordinates as to_x and to_y
  • Create lines from the connections table, using the from and to coordinates we just joined to it.

Don't know which software you're using so it's hard to say what the exact steps are that you'd need to take, but this'll work in FME.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hey Hans,

I will try this. I am using ArcGIS by the way and my data is in an Access database.

Thanks. Will let you know how it goes.

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

I solved this problem by using the tracking analyst tool. I made up a time field and then joined the lines based on ID number.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->