Another hello from Thunder Bay

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

MapLaTerre

MapLaTerre

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Running, hot yoga, nutrition, travelling, my dog, family and friends.
  • Canada

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself as one of the newest members of CartoTalk!

My academic interest in cartography began three years ago whilst taking my university's only cartography course. I began to develop a stronger understanding and respect for maps, but also came to realize that my interest in maps had always been there. Not only did the course fuel my intrigue, it became apparent that maps could be more than just a personal hobby and soon cartography became my field of interest.

These days, I'm well into my second year of graduate studies with a thesis heavily embedded in cartographic design, ecological boundaries, and anthropology. I am aiming to develop a series of symbols that best represent real-life ecological boundaries through an in-depth cartographic analysis and case study. So far so good, as preliminary results have proven to be quite interesting.

On a side note, I am currently reading "The Nature of Maps: Cartographic Constructions of the Natural World " by Wood and Fels; has anyone else read it and what are your thoughts? It's proven to be quite a thought-provoking book for me.

I hope to put some maps up soon for critiquing, so until then....
Cheers!

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

On a side note, I am currently reading "The Nature of Maps: Cartographic Constructions of the Natural World " by Wood and Fels; has anyone else read it and what are your thoughts? It's proven to be quite a thought-provoking book for me.

I remember John Fels from the year or so when he and I overlapped as cartographers at the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, back in the late Jurassic. Then he left to teach at Sir Sanford Fleming College, and next thing I heard, he had co-written this book! I never did read it though. Anyway, welcome to CartoTalk! :)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Hi everyone,

I thought it would be appropriate to introduce myself as one of the newest members of CartoTalk!

My academic interest in cartography began three years ago whilst taking my university's only cartography course. I began to develop a stronger understanding and respect for maps, but also came to realize that my interest in maps had always been there. Not only did the course fuel my intrigue, it became apparent that maps could be more than just a personal hobby and soon cartography became my field of interest.

These days, I'm well into my second year of graduate studies with a thesis heavily embedded in cartographic design, ecological boundaries, and anthropology. I am aiming to develop a series of symbols that best represent real-life ecological boundaries through an in-depth cartographic analysis and case study. So far so good, as preliminary results have proven to be quite interesting.

I hope to put some maps up soon for critiquing, so until then....
Cheers!

Welcome!

I suspect a lot of us knew we had found the right field when it felt like "home". :D
The thesis topic sounds very interesting.
Haven't read the Wood/Fels book.
Looking forward to seeing some of your maps. :)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi and welcome!

Your thesis sound very interesting indeed! Do you have some presentation/publication that you can share on the subject? I surely not the only one who would like to read about it!

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Great to have another Canadian on board!

Your thesis on Symbology sounds interesting, and uniquely focused.
Please be sure to share some of your results when the time is right.

I'm looking forward to seeing some of your cartographic work!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Welcome to CartoTalk! I'm sure you'll spend lots of time here. You probably found the jackpot with so many experienced cartographers/GIS people on here. :)

The Natures of Maps is definitely an interesting/controversial book. It was quite exciting to work on it when I was in my former position in Redlands. John Fels is from SSFC and it was really nice to meet him to collaborate on this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->