• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Clivedurdle

Clivedurdle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi

I am the Director of a small disability charity in London - Redbridge Disability Association - and have a name with interesting historical and geographical reverbations - Clive Durdle.

I am exploring the following - apologies for its length, and would welcome any help you may be able to suggest!

I should be reasonably good at cartography but have somehow avoided the hands on stuff although I do have A levels in Geography and Maths and a Masters Degree in Urban Planning!

The following does describe the issues - what are good introductions to mapmaking for young people? Has anyone done this for disabled young people?

Project Outline

To help disabled young people:

• To be aware of the issues that affect their lives
• To record them in their own voice
• To use available technologies to map these issues, present these issues to others and negotiate appropriate solutions.

Introduction

Being or becoming a disabled person leads to serious complexities and issues of management - one study found a disabled person had to navigate between 27 different people and organisations to get the solutions they needed.

Any disabled person by definition is a highly experienced project manager and director, negotiator and problem solver. Disabled people have very high levels of experience, skills, attitudes and knowledge to build fulfilling lives. There are very real issues of institutionalisation to be tackled.

A day in the life of a disabled young person

If it can go wrong, it will, especially around young disabled people.

Coherent assessment, support and response networks and solutions do not yet exist for disabled young people. There are bits of good services, but they are not seamless, joined up and person centred.

The allegedly normal becomes regularly as complex as a mission to the moon. Going to a youth club requires taxis turning up with appropriate ramps. One young man had to be manually handled into a youth worker's vehicle and taken home without his wheelchair - meaning he could not go to school the next day because the taxi did not turn up. Things unravel very rapidly and get very messy very quickly for a disabled young person.

Disabled young people spend incredible amounts of time and energy interfacing with hospitals and similar institutions, being ill and completely dependent on others. Their humour in the face of such adversity is humbling.

A young woman was not allowed by her college to attend a Xmas Ice skating event because of alleged health and safety concerns, and was formally marked as a poor attender after informing the college she had difficulty getting there in the mornings because of health reasons and would they make reasonable adjustments. That college has a very good equalities policy but had somehow interpreted disabled access as being about ramps and not about attitudes.

A young woman was turned away from a night club because her face did not fit. Restaurants like Pizza Hut frequently become full when a disabled person in a wheelchair turns up. There is institutionalized discrimination in that shops refurbishing frequently "forget" to design in universal access.

Bullying does occur in schools.

The United Nations [1] has written:

Despite being the world's largest minority, persons with disabilities are largely ignored. Youth with disabilities are amongst the most marginalized and poorest of the world's youth. Although, they face the same issues as their non-disabled peers, societal prejudices, barriers, and ignorance further exacerbate their concerns.

In many places, there is considerable stigma and sometimes shame imposed on disabled young people and their families by their communities. Feeling embarrassed and ashamed, families often do not acknowledge having a disabled young person and may limit the interaction of the disabled young person with the rest of society. The greatest impediments continue to be discrimination, prejudice, and social isolation.

Ignorance of disability concerns results in the needs of disabled young people being unrealised, leading to a loss of self-esteem, self-worth and the creation of social isolation.

Globally, there are over 650 million disabled people, and around a third of these are youth. Nearly 80% of disabled young people live in developing countries, and although the actual figures are uncertain, it is clear that disabled young people form a significant proportion of the youth population in every society. Disabled young people are severely under-researched, with limited data on prevalence and the effects on youth themselves.

Education is as critical for realizing the full potential of disabled young people, as it is for their peers. Yet, more than 98% of children with disabilities in developing countries do not attend school. Educational institutions are often inaccessible and lack appropriate facilities, and teachers frequently have preconceived ideas about what is appropriate for their students with disabilities, often resulting in the exclusion of disabled young people from certain activities.

Not receiving the skills and qualifications to function in the wider society, limits the employment opportunities for disabled young people. Unemployment rates for persons with disabilities are higher than the non-disabled population in every society and discrimination and negative perceptions of disabled young people pose a formidable barrier to disabled young people looking for employment.

However, these societal misapprehensions can be addressed. Greater awareness and understanding of disabilities is fundamental to improving this situation.

Technological innovations such as the Internet and software adaptations have created opportunities for disabled young people, helping to break down barriers and increase their sense of belonging and interaction with their peers.

The World Programme of Action for Youth (WPAY), adopted by the United Nations, in 1995, urges countries to take measures to develop the possibilities of youth with disabilities, paying particular attention to the education of disabled young people.

Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

In 2006, the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted by the General Assembly. It offers youth with disabilities in numerous countries effective human rights for the very first time, facilitating the process that empowers them to address the multiple societal challenges they face. It prohibits disability-related discriminatory practices against persons with disabilities and asks Governments to implement legislation and measures to promote the rights of persons with disabilities. It stipulates the rights to education, employment, health and well-being to ensure that young persons with disabilities develop their full human potential.

[1] http://www.un.org/es.../disability.htm

The Proposal

We wish to evolve personal solutions, and assist with the creation of strong social networks and life plans or maps. This involves close liaison about health care and support planning, both with a wide variety of immediate issues and into the long term - the creation of life maps.

These would be multi-dimensional maps:

• Where someone has come from, where they are now, where do they wish to go

• Their geographical environment – how accessible is it, issues, strengths, weaknesses.

• Their social environment – their relationships with institutions, communities, businesses and individuals. Attitudes they meet.

Instead of negotiating a probably incomplete and institutionalised set of "services" for which someone may or may not be "eligible" we want to plan and map in detail with disabled young people a multi dimensional change architecture that is right for the person, their family and their community. We wish to develop self-assessment templates about this. The agenda here includes individual budgets.

Volunteering, the arts, sport, transport and employment are critical parts of this. The experience of the Beijing Paralympics has many excellent examples that can be used in London to construct a lasting legacy of a truly accessible Redbridge and London.

John Barrow Cosmic Imagery writes:

Maps symbolise a human desire to understand and be in control of our surroundings. To map a territory was tantamount to possessing it. Maps of the heavens offered an ultimate reassurance that all is well with the Universe, that we were at a focal controlling point within it and had a special part to play in its unfolding story.

We are aiming to construct personal life maps - learning to act of one owns volition with others.

Mapping

We are aiming to get disabled young people mapping their experience and environments in terms of accessibility and attitude, and reporting this on things like google maps and the equivalents of rough guides for disabled people - mapping our lives.

Maps are very useful things to help us get from one place to another. Why not create personal maps together of where we want to go with our lives?

Geography and disability are completely interrelated. We run an information service here, which is about managing information, and maps are a superb way of managing information!

We all use maps everyday of varying sophistication. I have done some sailing and very detailed charts are used to navigate safely - my brother in law still had to be rescued by the RNLI from some sandbanks though! Mountaineers also use detailed maps.

There are also now satnavs and rough guides and tube maps.
I am proposing that a small group of disabled young people begin to record their day - to - day experiences using modern technology like blogs, google maps and web pages and begin to build up detailed maps of their experiences.

Actual physical barriers like steps at a tube station would be recorded as they are experienced by a disabled person - the equivalent of a crevasse in a glacier. Attitudinal barriers, customer focus would also be recorded allowing a grading or rating of different places, as you do for hotels and restaurants.

I would wish to cascade this idea by starting locally and then getting it copied regionally, nationally and internationally - eventually achieving a world map of what it is like to be disabled where ever you are.

As Gregory said to Augustine a long time ago - mountains are climbed a step at a time!

To: Clive Durdle
How are you? I was thinking about your geographical map online. Could I use the maps for board game, which is called Total Chaos. If it is any good for your project. just e-mail me back please! thanks. see you in Wednesday. p k

Scott Rains wrote:

Wendy,

Keeping you in the loop on the buzz around that disability lifestyles mapping project.

Scott Rains
The Rolling Rains Report

http://www.RollingRains.com

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses! My thinking is only at the what if stage - the very wide vista at the beginning of a project - everything needs doing! There might be the following issues - please add anything else

* Standard sets of symbols
* Various types of projection
* Making it useful to a wide variety of disabled people, professionals and others
* What are the technological possibilities and limits?
* Paper based versions, audio versions, other formats
* Design issues - making it beautiful and useable, various formats - the London Underground map, Peters, Mercators projections, ....
* Open source
* How do we best record and manage what is happening? A separate web page?

The log you envision would be VERY useful for planners and I like the idea of using the maps to help display the problems encountered. As a university affiliated person I could ask the disability director to ask for willing participants for such a blog. Downloading the information into a map would be the problem for us to overcome - not everyone knows how to use a GIS to record such data. Have you created such a map that we can look at so that we can all be on the same page?

Good to meet you! Juana

Juana Ibáñez
Undergraduate Advisor
Department of Geography
Milneburg Hall 342
University of New Orleans
2000 Lakeshore Drive
New Orleans, Louisiana 70148
504-280-3103 (office)
504-280-6294 (departmental office)
504-280-1123 (fax)

hi Scott & Clive

I am just coming back from Seoul, and rather fuzzy, but happy to see your conversation.

We are building a tool similar to what you describe to chart green living, nature, cultural and social justice sites. OpenGreenMap.org is online at this point but later, there is potential to make printed maps. Scott is the first to point out how useful it would be for disabled travelers. I don't know that the everyday experiences you describe could be captured as sites on the map, but they certainly could be included in the open public Comment section or as images in the Multimedia tab on any of the mapped sites.
Also, for every site on the map, there is an ' inclusion indicator' of whether it is wheelchair- or child- friendly, free or near public transport so more people can get involved (see page 5 of the attached PDF or the OpenGreenMap.org site). As Scott pointed out, that still does not tell us everything about being able to really participate once you get in, though.

Here is a 5 minute video (move your cursor off the page after it has started to have the annoying header disappear).

http://www.greenmap....se/en/node/4977

I also attached an OGM press release.

Currently, you need to be a registered Green Mapmaker to create a map (GreenMap.org's Participate section has details, we have projects in 54 countries in our network) but already, anyone can suggest a site, and by the time OGM is officially launched in Spring, everyone will be able to add sites to the World View map. We are expecting a big audience, and your network's input will give many people a fresh perspective on real life challenges.
Also, just to mention, I worked with a crew of graphic design students in Seoul who are making a Green Map about a riverside park and disability access, hazards, wildlife and fitness. They may be designing some related icons, if so I will let you know (they only have a short time on this project though). I was also in a big park (Namsan) where cars, bikes and skaters are banned so blind and other folks can walk or run freely without fear of being mowed down - it's a small mountain so not so good for wheelchairs though.

I hesitate to connect with another listserv as I am overwhelmed with email and shorthanded with a zillion projects underway but happy to talk with you further... have a great weekend...
- all the best, Wendy

Wendy E. Brawer
Founding Director
Green Map System
Think Global, Map Local!
Global - http://GreenMap.org
NYC - http://GreenAppleMap.org
+1 212 674 1631
web@greenmap.org

Virtual volunteering

One of the major issues about being a disabled young person is being able to meet regularly because of transport and health issues. This means other forms of communication become critical - and electronically does provide all sorts of opportunities. Redbridge Disability Association is beginning to review its web presence and we are setting up a blog and looking at a discussion forum.

There is more to do, like ensuring our disability friendliness and using web search engines like Cool Iris - that found the UN report at the beginning.

The web discussion above about mapping also includes people around the planet and this will grow.

Clive Durdle
Director
Redbridge Disability Association
98 -100 Ilford Lane
Ilford Essex IG1 2LD
020 8514 2565 0794 198 8846
clivedurdle@reda-info.co.uk
Company Limited by Guarantee 2888472
Registered Charity 1050348
Together we solve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users