Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Hello Fellow CartoTalk Members,

My name is Michael Karpovage and I'd like to introduce myself to the community here. I am an account executive and designer/illustrator with mapformation, LLC - based out of Springfield, Minnesota. Yet I work in a virtual position out of my home office down here in the Atlanta, GA area. Derek Tonn (a longtime member of CartoTalk and a great guy to boot!) is the owner of mapformation and I've been working for him going on five years now in a part time role. Recently however I took the plunge to go full time and pursue this "labor of love" that I have for map illustrations. I also have a freelance side business too called http://www.KarpovageCreative.com which touts my 18 years as a graphic designer, art director, and aspiring novelist.

So, back to mapformation....not only do I play the role of account exec -- finding leads, writing proposals, bringing in jobs for our team, but I also illustrate as well. I mostly specialize in the college and university campus map market niche but I've also designed maps for the Buffalo Bills and a few municipalities as well (Hollywood Boulevard and the Village of Waterloo, NY). I just finished my first overseas map for a resort city on the Med coast of Spain and currently I'm working on several other municipality map ideas.

I guess I would consider my style of map illustrations more of the pictorial, artistic type look. I'm not sure if there is a category label for this, but what I'm definitely not nor claim to be is a GIS Cartographer. I do most of my work as a 3D birds-eye-view map illustrator using Photoshop, Illustrator, and Corel Draw as my tools of the trade. I work on a killer iMac and a screaming PC (mostly for gaming though - Call of Duty). My styles are of the vector type as well as the raster type. My pieces use aerial photography as the basis for the illustrations however I've rendered a number of projects using only site plans, ground reference photos, and anything available free on the Internet for reference. Here's a direct link to my "raster style" --

http://http://www.ma...us/3Draster.htm

As you can see I like to use rich color and shadowing and lots of detail and accuracy in architecture and landscaping. These unique 3D perspective maps, I believe, give the reader/user a greater sense of the lay of the land. For marketing a particular institution, say a college campus, the admissions dept. just loves these styles of maps since they visually set their college apart from the competition. Not only do the college's use them in their recruitment publications but more and more we are seeing these map illustrations as interactive web pages for campus tours.

Okay, enough rambling from me!! Feel free to drop me a line anytime or for more information about me or mapformation visit mapformation.com, and click on About Us or visit my freelance website.

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi Michael, welcome to cartotalk
I was already a fan having seen some of your work on Mapformation. That is one great website.

My first post on cartotalk, about 2 years ago, was titled :'lonely pictorial map maker'. Since then , I was glad to discover that there a few of us around dedicated to this particular labor of love.

I am always surprised at how little known this unique artform is... although nearly everybody acknowledges to have 'seen those type of maps' somewhere.
Here is a link to a page I wrote onWikipedia about the subject. I,m sure you,ll relate to it.

We,ll have to have a good talk one of these days. Your novel about Quebec also looks rather intriguing to me.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Derek Tonn (a longtime member of CartoTalk and a great guy to boot!) is the owner of mapformation and I've been working for him going on five years now in a part time role.

Actually, I hear that guy is a REAL piece of work...a serious wind-bag and kinda tough to get along with... :lol:

Seriously Michael, glad to have you here chattering in CartoTalk! I wish we could get Bob, David, Terry and a few others to weigh-in here too...but at least the "master raster mapper" (Michael's fictitious hip-hop gangsta mapping name) can bedazzle us with your knowledge and skills with all-things Photoshop. For those that haven't seen Michael's work, he does things in Photoshop (in particular, he can also do great things in Illustrator and other tools too) that I could only DREAM of doing! When it comes to all-things .psd, I just stand back, stay out of his way, and watch in admiration. Kind of like what I do with lots of others on this site too (like Jean-Louis)...lots of beautiful mapping work represented here in CartoTalk! B)
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Michael Karpovage

Michael Karpovage

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Interests:Making beautiful, functional maps
  • United States

Thanks so much guys! Jean-Louis, you truly have been an inspiration in the development of my style. I purchased some of your watercolor, pen and ink maps back in 1998 and can honestly say it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance almost 10 years later! In fact when I've given a career profile to college illustration majors I frequently use your map samples as one of the top hand-rendered pictorial styles out there. Also, that Wikipedia article was great too. I would love to get my hands on an original of one of those pictorial style panoramic maps from the Renaissance Era. Man, I wonder how much that would go for at Sotheby's!

I'll email you personally with some additional discussion.

Regards,

Michael

--
Michael Karpovage

• Savannah Historic District Illustrated Map
www.karpovagecreative.com/savannah

• Account Manager/Illustrator
Mapformation, LLC - Atlanta, GA office
www.mapformation.com

• Author of Map of Thieves
www.mapofthieves.com

DaveB