• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

JimBlakeslee

JimBlakeslee

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:Interactive Map Applications: Flash, MySQL, PHP, etc.
  • United States

My normal workflow for flash mapping has always been MapInfo->Illustrator (with MapPublisher)->Export as .swf->Load into Flash. The chief problem is that Illy's "Export to .swf" function produces AV1M swfs so while you can view them (and scale them and turn them on and off) in Flash you can't interact with their vector content (change color, detect mouseovers, or clicks etc). Now I am learning to import the .ai into Flash, then save from there, to overcome that issue.

I'm now working on an interactive map with 3,000+ polygons (US Counties, for example) and I want to do dynamic, data driven updates. Each polygon is a GIS object. Each can be an object or layer in Illy. When I import into Flash, I can declare each one to be an independent .swf and I can interact with them programatically via Actionscript. The challenge is that Flash drops the attribute info, they're just layer 1, layer 2, etc.

Anyone know a way to import .AI into Flash and retain some label or id for each item which can populate the "instance name" ? I don't really want to re-declare the labels for all 3,000 objects after import to Flash CS4 by hand.

Also, I'm pretty impressed with the new MapPublisher for CS4-- kudos to the Avenza people!

usherj1

usherj1

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi Jim,

Did you ever find a solution to this? I am working on precisely the same problem - I have shapefiles for US Counties and Canadian Census Districts and I need to get them into Flash with instance names attached. I spent some time on the phone with Avenza today and they don't believe it is possible straight up. But it seems like there could still be a work around.

-Jeremy Usher

My normal workflow for flash mapping has always been MapInfo->Illustrator (with MapPublisher)->Export as .swf->Load into Flash. The chief problem is that Illy's "Export to .swf" function produces AV1M swfs so while you can view them (and scale them and turn them on and off) in Flash you can't interact with their vector content (change color, detect mouseovers, or clicks etc). Now I am learning to import the .ai into Flash, then save from there, to overcome that issue.

I'm now working on an interactive map with 3,000+ polygons (US Counties, for example) and I want to do dynamic, data driven updates. Each polygon is a GIS object. Each can be an object or layer in Illy. When I import into Flash, I can declare each one to be an independent .swf and I can interact with them programatically via Actionscript. The challenge is that Flash drops the attribute info, they're just layer 1, layer 2, etc.

Anyone know a way to import .AI into Flash and retain some label or id for each item which can populate the "instance name" ? I don't really want to re-declare the labels for all 3,000 objects after import to Flash CS4 by hand.

Also, I'm pretty impressed with the new MapPublisher for CS4-- kudos to the Avenza people!

l.jegou

l.jegou

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Webmapping, thematical mapping.
  • France

I'm certainly late but to pass the info i used a tortured workflow to obtain swf symbols from a shapefile, by using MapServer as a middleman. MapServer reads the shape, format it, and outputs swf containing the geometry and attributes :

http://mapserver.org/output/flash.html

The ‘main’ SWF File will contain Action Script (AS) code that gives critical information on the map file and the SWF layers produced. Basically there will be an object called mapObj containing the height, width, extent, scale, number of layers, etc.

On Windows the MS4W package provides a nicely compact MapServer with SWF output enabled : http://www.maptools....=downloads.html

cogswick

cogswick

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

Hello!

I also may be taking part in resurrecting a dead thread, but to anyone who finds themselves in this issue, I've come up with a similar work flow to get things into flash. I work from Arc, and export that as an .ai file. Then, in AI I do all of my design work. I import that .ai file as keyframes into flash. If I'm making a proportional symbol map, for example, I'll use ArcMap to do the symbology and export that as an .ai. Then, I make several layers in AI with each layer representing the symbols of a different year, export, whatever you're mapping. This is then imported as a series of keyframes either in a new layer, or their own layer. There is a really neat tutorial on the web called "Flash in a Flash" which has been a huge help for me.

-Cogs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->