• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

ITmapper

ITmapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

A look into a new type of zoning map for Indian Trail, NC. Town adopted a new UDO...thought a new map would be a good addition.

Ran into a few problems when I exported it into a PDF; the export seems to have dropped some of the formatting of the tables. I could probably adjust the colors/symbols of the 'overlays' all day long...however I'm pretty happy with the colors of the actual zoning districts.

Thanks for any feedback, mappers!

Luke

http://www.indiantra...ts/IT_UDOv5.pdf

E Nile

E Nile

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • United States

This is a tough assignment because of the volume of information in addition to the map.

There are good reasons to keep the zoning descriptions on the map, but a separate page for the text would give room for a larger map to allow people to see the details better.

A couple of picky things: 1) The Datum should be noted in addition to State Plane. 2) I don't like to put a text scale on a PDF map since you cannot control how the reader prints it. Perhaps a disclaimer like 1" = 2,000 feet when printed on E size sheet.? 3) Even though contacting the city via the URL is probably the best way, many people still rely on a telephone number.

Good luck.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Hey Luke,

Looks good!

What is the final format of this map? Will it be distributed as a PDF?

I noticed your map data is a raster, which makes it difficult to see fine detail when zooming on the pdf.

Although if you distribute the map on paper, that wouldn't be an issue!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

ITmapper

ITmapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the feedback!

The 'final product' shall be on a high-quality plastic board, mounted in a few of the major departments and town hall. I think at this point, if I do provide one for the public, it will be printed here at the office, or if I distribute online, it will be fairly scaled back - smaller size, less detail. The zoning web-application will probably be of most help for specific identification of a parcel's zoning.

Good advice, thanks a bunch!

Luke

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Are UDOs very common in North Carolina? I though it was one of those good ideas from the 90s that never went anywhere.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->