3 replies to this topic

Sky Schemer

Sky Schemer

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • United States

For those of you who use Manifold when working with GIS data, but then export the layers to another application for creating your map (Illustrator + MAPublisher, or Canvas X), you might be interested in a script I developed to do much of the legwork. It's posted over on the Manifold forums.

It will non-destructively clip all drawings found in a layout to the layout extent, and then export those clipped layers as shapefiles, along with their projection information. "Non-destructively" here means that the original drawings in your file are not modified. It basically lets you set your printed layout (dimensions, map layers, etc.) in Manifold, and then export only the drawing data that actually fits onto the printed page.

This script grew out of the frustration I encountered when, near the very end of a map project, when all my layers had already been trimmed and prepped for printing, the client asked me to shift the map view "just a couple of blocks to the west". :o This script makes that sort of thing a lot less work.

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

This sounds really great -- I can't wait to try it out. Thanks!
Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Wow, great ..
These clients oops, sometimes scare the whole map with a sudden changes..
Helpfully your tool would be a user friendly..may be i will test and give you the feedback.

Thanks
GISGURU

For those of you who use Manifold when working with GIS data, but then export the layers to another application for creating your map (Illustrator + MAPublisher, or Canvas X), you might be interested in a script I developed to do much of the legwork. It's posted over on the Manifold forums.

It will non-destructively clip all drawings found in a layout to the layout extent, and then export those clipped layers as shapefiles, along with their projection information. "Non-destructively" here means that the original drawings in your file are not modified. It basically lets you set your printed layout (dimensions, map layers, etc.) in Manifold, and then export only the drawing data that actually fits onto the printed page.

This script grew out of the frustration I encountered when, near the very end of a map project, when all my layers had already been trimmed and prepped for printing, the client asked me to shift the map view "just a couple of blocks to the west". :o This script makes that sort of thing a lot less work.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Thank-you not only for the script since it's going to be useful especially where I'm learning GIS integration but as well as your post regarding the 64X issue of not being able to run forms with the code behind. Poor Hans encountered the same problem of a blank screen after sending him a sample form in Manifold. Anyways hopefully there's alot more interaction with VB.NET forms in version 9 because it looks pretty cool loading the map project using the Manifold Map Object.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->