burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Since I just joined, my first big question is about freelancing and in particular, publishing your own maps. I would eventually like to own my own consulting shop and mix publishing my own maps with GIS and Imagery consultancy work. What I am trying to do here is a little bit of market research. I have a good idea about pricing for maps but was wondering if someone had some first hand knowledge on what would be considered a good selling map. That is, how many maps would you have to sell for that map to be considered successful. This would at least allow me to assess the success of products I am trying to sell. I know there are alot of factors involved but if someone had some direct knowledge, that would be great.

Thanks for the help
Bruce Burwell
GIS/RS Analyst
Saudi Aramco
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Because of your location you are well positioned to create maps of a under-mapped area, the Middle East (outside of various Defense Department maps which aren't available).

I think to some degree the old writers addage applies here (in a slightly modified form: "Map what you know"

A good source for market information is the International Map Trade Association.

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

burwelbo

burwelbo

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Hiking, Travel
  • Canada

Thanks Nick

I do think there is a need for maps of some of these more remote areas and with the amount of free data available on the web today, this should be alot easier.

Bruce Burwell
GIS/RS Analyst
Saudi Aramco
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->