mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hello,

I recently came across a concern when converting Shape (.shp) to Adobe Illustrator (.eps).

The problem was converting the Shape point data into EPS - it was the first time I have encountered it as previously it has been linear features.

I was using the FME EPS writer which converted the Shape point symbols to a text. I wasn't confident about the location of the text in the EPS (justification, symbol, text size etc) and was in a hurry. So I went back to FME and created small polygon features from the points.

I will revisit this in FME and check the position of the text symbol in the EPS to know if it is accurate.

In the meantime I was wondering how people get GIS data into Illustrator:

• EPS writer in ArcGIS
  • MaPublisher
  • FME

and I'd be interested to hear any pros/cons for each especially methods using FME.

Thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

In the meantime I was wondering how people get GIS data into Illustrator:

• EPS writer in ArcGIS
  • MaPublisher
  • FME

and I'd be interested to hear any pros/cons for each especially methods using FME.

Up until a few weeks ago I would have said MAPublisher. I still really recommend that actually. You maintain the georeference and attribute structure, so if you ever want to go back to GIS with your data, you can without too much hassle.

But the new PDF writer in FME 2009 is looking quite good too. I tried the old EPS/AI writers but they were somewhat limited (as in: very difficult to control the order of layers/objects in the resulting file). The PDF writer is better in that regard. This method would be most suited for scenarios where you want to write the data to an Illustrator-ready file format and don't want to do any manual editing on it. The only downside is that FME stores color information in RGB.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I export my shapefile data out of ArcGIS as .ai files. When ESRI re-wrote their Illustrator export, the programmer was adept enough to include swatch files as well as doing a decent job of including any layering you had in the original map document (mxd).

I find that it is nice to be able to do rough layout, layering and symbolization in ArcMap then export all the vectors (layered) over to Ai for finishing. Exporting annotation and labels can still be still problematic, but there are rudimentary workarounds available.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

MAPublisher is my method of choice, though I will occasionally export to .ai out of ArcMap.

Usually I build a single base map extent in Illustrator then import various thematic layers, so retaining the georeferencing is a big help. I also like exporting data out of Illustrator to shapefile, usually a neatline, then bringing it into Arc to set my projection and clip.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->