Queneau

Queneau

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello all,

I'm a cartographic newbie, but very interested in the field of cartography. I have been trained a graphic designer (BA+MA) for 6 years, and for the last two years I have been working as a graphic designer at a small design agency in Amsterdam. But I am looking to get into the business of cartography, which I have been interested in for a long time. I have been reading up on the classics (Mark Monmonier, Denis Wood, Denis Cosgrove, E. R. Tufte et al) and have experimented with infographics and maps for personal projects. I have a good knowledge of InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop (but not of GIS related applications) and - more importantly - a love of maps.

I would like to know if you could help me weigh my options on getting into cartography. I am trying my hand at some maps as we speak, and I hope to post something on this forum in the near future... Next to that I would be interested in an internship in a company that specializes in cartography and/or infographics. But I'm not that familiar with the professional field in the Netherlands and Germany to know which companies would be interesting for me. I hope you can help me out!

A related question: do you know interesting companies in the area of Leipzig, Germany??

Thank you very much!

Greetings, Jeffrey
Jeffrey | Queneau

Graphic Designer
Netherlands

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would like to know if you could help me weigh my options on getting into cartography. I am trying my hand at some maps as we speak, and I hope to post something on this forum in the near future... Next to that I would be interested in an internship in a company that specializes in cartography and/or infographics. But I'm not that familiar with the professional field in the Netherlands and Germany to know which companies would be interesting for me. I hope you can help me out!

You can either look for a commercial firm (Cartostudio in Amsterdam is a good one for example), but then you'd have to be careful you're doing more than just production work. Government can be interesting too, bigger cities (such as Amsterdam), provincial and national governments often have cartography departments, though the tendency is for them to focus on GIS a lot more these days.

How long of an internship would you be looking for?

If you can send me some samples of your maps privately, along with a resume, I'll see what I can do for you.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Queneau

Queneau

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Netherlands

Thank you!

I have to put some stuff together first, but then I will definately come back to you. As I said, I hope to post some maps here in the near future, and when I have got some real map examples I think you can have a better idea of what i'm looking for. I will then send my resume with the mapping examples I've made.

As for the duration of the internship: I'm not completely sure about this, though I think about half a year or so.

Greetings Jeffrey
Jeffrey | Queneau

Graphic Designer
Netherlands

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Wow. That Cartostudio website is quite progressive!
I almost felt like I was in their office building!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->