rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hi all -

We are (still) looking at moving at entire cartographic production process from Freehand/Illustrator to a GIS platform, probably ESRI. As part of the investigation/justification process, I am looking for technical papers on using GIS software for cartographic purposes. I've got a white paper for ESRI which is a start but ideally I'd like to get a paper or two from someone who is not associated with a specific software company. Does anyone have any leads? Specifically, I'm looking at
  • trends
  • capabilities
  • cost
  • efficiencies
I already know all of this but am essentially looking for some scholarly articles to back up my opinions (or change them). Thanks!

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Wouldnt the quarterly NACIS publication contain at least a few of these sorts of articles?
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Wouldnt the quarterly NACIS publication contain at least a few of these sorts of articles?

Perhaps but if one is not a member where does one get access to it?

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Perhaps but if one is not a member where does one get access to it?

If you're only interested in examples of work, maybe you could be lucky and found it in one of the 3 samples they have on their website: http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=5

And it's not easy to move from "Graphic" cartography to GIS... At work, we have ArcMap, Illustrator, Freehand (with MAPublisher) and MapInfo and even if were supposed to more and more to Illy/Arc (with is in what I have my background and experiences), we end up doing 90% of the work in MapInfo/Freehand because of client requirement and mostly because most of what have been done in the past years was made with them and It's quicker to restart from there than convert everything, redo a layout, symbology, etc., (sigh!)

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

If you're only interested in examples of work, maybe you could be lucky and found it in one of the 3 samples they have on their website: http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=5

Checked it out already. I did not find any articles in those 3 issues that seemed relevant to my topic. I've laso combed through a number of Cartographica issues that I have on hand. although certainly scholarly what I am finding is that they are a bit too academic. What I am specifically looking for are studies on how GIS has improved cartographic production and enabled mapping to be more than just the creation of paper maps. The problem is - we all know that. It's common knowledge in the industry but I need a few scholarly references to employ in a research and development proposal I am working on.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

You could check ArcNews. There's a lot of case studies.

In the mapping production, there's
Collins Bartholomew Revolutionizes Atlas Production
Special Section: GIS for National Mapping and Cartographic Production
Putting the "Art" Back into Cartography

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hey François -

Those are great leads. I found a few others in my collection of ArcNews "Quality, Time to Market Significantly Imrpoved with GIS at Rand McNally," Vol. 28, no. 2 for instance). These will be helpful but I was hoping to find something not necessarily published by a software company that has a vested interest in making their products look successful. Nevertheless, thanks for the tip.

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Canada's very own MapArt has switched over from FreeHand to ArcGIS: http://www.esricanad...s/1177_4723.asp
They've even created a map engine: http://maps.mapmobility.com/
(All of MapArt's maps are produced by Mapmobility, formerly MAPmedia.)

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Hey François -

Those are great leads. I found a few others in my collection of ArcNews "Quality, Time to Market Significantly Imrpoved with GIS at Rand McNally," Vol. 28, no. 2 for instance). These will be helpful but I was hoping to find something not necessarily published by a software company that has a vested interest in making their products look successful. Nevertheless, thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->