- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Christie

Christie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I am trying to import .dat data into ArcGIS. I know there is way to do this using ArcToolbox. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I thought maybe it would be under conversion tools or maybe spatial analyst tools, but I'm not finding it...
Also, going in the opposite direction, I am trying to export xyz point data from a grid that is 6000'x6000' in ArcGIS. I would prefer an excel format but at this point just getting the data would be helpful.
Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Christie,

I think the data you are trying to import could be in an ESRI Coverage file format and it seems the .dat file has become separated from the other parts of the file. Can you see it in ArcCatalog? Where did it come from?

With regard to your other question - if you have it as a point shapefile, you can open the .dbf file in Excel (pre 2007) or Access directly.

Good luck!

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I am trying to import .dat data into ArcGIS. I know there is way to do this using ArcToolbox. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? I thought maybe it would be under conversion tools or maybe spatial analyst tools, but I'm not finding it...
Also, going in the opposite direction, I am trying to export xyz point data from a grid that is 6000'x6000' in ArcGIS. I would prefer an excel format but at this point just getting the data would be helpful.
Any ideas? Thanks so much!

Second question first. Use the raster to point conversion tool. This will create a shapefile/feature class. Open the attribute table add two fields (x and y, your z field will be called value) and if you have 9.2 or greater use calculate geometry to get the x and y coordinates, otherwise use the vba option. Export the table as dbf, and open it directly in excel.

If the .dat is just comma delimited x, y point data, then change the extension to .txt and go to Tools --> Add X Y Data. I'm not sure if it will directly recognize the .dat extension.

Hope that helps...

David

Christie

Christie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I changed the .dat file to .txt extension but was still not able to import using add xy data. I do think this is going in a better direction. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to keep trying other things. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Some more info: the .dat file is a grid from a program called SMT. The goal is to drop this grid into ArcMap. However, I think this isn't going to be as simple as it sounds.

dsl

dsl

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • United States

I changed the .dat file to .txt extension but was still not able to import using add xy data. I do think this is going in a better direction. Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to keep trying other things. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Some more info: the .dat file is a grid from a program called SMT. The goal is to drop this grid into ArcMap. However, I think this isn't going to be as simple as it sounds.

Is the .dat an ascii grid file? This is what it looks like: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESRI_grid. If it is then you can try to convert ascii grid to raster tool. I don't know what SMT is, and I'm not sure what format they are using. I don't think changing the extension will do much good unfortunately. Is this a file you can share?

Cheers,
David

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,304 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

It is not GMT you refer to? If it is an ASCII file, you should be able to look at it in e.g. vim (everyone's favorite text editor :). or something like notepad.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ChrisJ

ChrisJ

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi Christie,

Just came across your post and figured you'd probably have solved your issue by now of course but thought you might like to know about a new product called Team-GIS KBridge that is designed to help integrate KINGDOM SMT and ArcGIS - for more information please see http://www.exprodat....ingdom-Add-ins/

Regards
CJ

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

With regard to your other question - if you have it as a point shapefile, you can open the .dbf file in Excel (pre 2007) or Access directly.

Just to mention that Open Office Calc can not only read DBF files, but write them too (which Excel 2007 can't do). It's very attractively priced as well :) .

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->