mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

Hi,

Anyone know of a good source for royalty free, accurate international boundaries either as geometry or lat/long coordinates? The ones in DCW are copyright ESRI I believe.

Thanks

Bjorn

Bjorn

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Norway

http://thematicmappi...rld_borders.php

Bjorn

Hi,

Anyone know of a good source for royalty free, accurate international boundaries either as geometry or lat/long coordinates? The ones in DCW are copyright ESRI I believe.

Thanks

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

François created some a few months ago, see this thread

DCW / VMAP is produced by the US government (NIMA / NGA?) so wouldn't fall under ESRI copyright. However, the data that is supplied with ArcGIS has some quality improvement done by ESRI.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

François created some a few months ago, see this thread

Oups! My old website is dead so I'll have to upload this data on my new one. I'll try to do it monday morning since I don't have it with me right now.

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

For more detail the VMAP based on the old 1:1,000,000 DCW seems like the way to go...if you can find it. See post here. Kind of ironic that while it's hard to find from the US you can get it from the Russians....

See also the USGS Global GIS dataset, available as a region-by-region CD set or world-wide DVD here. It does appear to include VMAP. Looks like a decent cheap way to go... it's only $149...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

VMAP0 level 4 (updated from the early nineties DCW distribution) is available for download, by continent, from NGA (and others). In vpf-format.

I don't know when VMAP0 was last updated, but that USGS/AGI cd/dvd set is from 2002.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Key points to peek at to identify up-to-dateness of data:
* East Timor
* Former Yugoslavia (including Serbia)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

The VMAP hasn't been updated for a while I think (1998??) .

Hans - you're correct the original DCW has no relation to ESRI but often the datasets online are the ESRI enhanced ones.

Bjorn - I had already seen the data available on thematicmapping.org but was concerned with the origin of the original data used by Mapping Hacks. Any idea?

François - I'm guessing your data set was derived from the VMAP data and updated using 'other' sources? Sounds interesting if you can upload to your new website.

Thanks to everyone who has replied :)

Mark

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

François - I'm guessing your data set was derived from the VMAP data and updated using 'other' sources? Sounds interesting if you can upload to your new website.

Told you I was going to upload it monday morning so there it is!

There's a lot of VMAP and it was updated in MAPublisher with ESRI's Data & Maps and Avenza's MapData World for comparison purpose. I pretty confident about the content.

It was for a project at the beginning of this year so I needed an up-to-date version. I needed Kosovo too so it's there, but I don't want to start a political debate so feel free to merge it with the rest of Serbia if you want.

http://www.fgcartogr...m/world2008.zip

mrfaize

mrfaize

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • United Kingdom

There's a lot of VMAP and it was updated in MAPublisher with ESRI's Data & Maps and Avenza's MapData World for comparison purpose. I pretty confident about the content.

It was for a project at the beginning of this year so I needed an up-to-date version. I needed Kosovo too so it's there, but I don't want to start a political debate so feel free to merge it with the rest of Serbia if you want.

Thanks François - getting it now.

Mark

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Also,
if you're interested, EVC has also created its own 1:1Mil vector basemap for a portion of the world. Its based mainly on Soviet 1:1Mil scale topos, which means it is several times more detailed than Vmap0, as that is based on 1:1Mil NGA ONC maps. ONC's are aeronautical charts, whereas the Soviet maps are actually ground-based topographic maps.
To see coverage, pricing info, and sample data, see here:

http://www.cartograp...x/hub/index.asp

Its all in English/Romanized, by the way.
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

Gorky

Gorky

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Francois!

I took a look at your shape-file. looks great - just one thing to mention:
the caspian see is missing

Sincerely

Gorky

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Francois!

I took a look at your shape-file. looks great - just one thing to mention:
the caspian see is missing

Sincerely

Gorky

That's because I had it on my hydrography layer... I could cut it from the country thought.

Gorky

Gorky

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

That's because I had it on my hydrography layer... I could cut it from the country thought.

Francois thanks for the info.
Is this hydrology layer also available for downloadP

Gorky

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Francois thanks for the info.
Is this hydrology layer also available for downloadP

Gorky

Hi Gorky,

I didn't have to create my own dataset for hydrography, so I used Data & Maps' data and I don't have the right to distribute it. VMap should be a good place to start though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->