• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

Avenza Releases MAPublisher 8.0 for Adobe Illustrator
- Includes a host of new features including export to Flash maps and Adobe CS4 compatibility -

Toronto, ON, December 8, 2008 - Avenza Systems Inc., producers of MAPublisher cartographic software for Adobe Illustrator and Geographic Imager spatial tools for Adobe Photoshop is pleased to announce the release of MAPublisher 8.0 for Adobe Illustrator. MAPublisher 8.0 is the latest version of this powerful mapmaking software used to produce high quality maps from GIS data for both print and electronic distribution.

MAPublisher 8.0 for Adobe Illustrator is a full product upgrade that is free of charge to all current MAPublisher Maintenance Program subscribers and replaces the current shipping version of MAPublisher, version 7.6.3, for all new customers using Adobe Illustrator CS2, CS3 or CS4.

"MAPublisher 8.0 is by far the most powerful and exciting release since the concept of working with GIS files in the graphics environment was unveiled with the first version of MAPublisher many years ago. As with previous releases, we have responded to the requests of our users by quickly improving on existing functionality and including many new functions and feature enhancements,” said Ted Florence, President of Avenza, “The Flash export capability, alone, is a reason to upgrade and is a tremendous new feature that we know many users will enjoy and find to be extremely useful.” he added.

MAPublisher 8.0 includes all the significant functionality introduced in earlier releases of MAPublisher as well as the following new features and enhancements.

New Features of MAPublisher 8.0 for Adobe Illustrator

• Support for Adobe Illustrator CS4
  • MAP Web Author Tool for automatic creation of interactive Flash maps
  • MAP Vector Crop Tool
  • Dockable MAPublisher Toolbar
  • New and improved MAP Point Plotter with Plot Centroids function
  • Enhanced KML export support,
  • New format support for S-57 (import) & GML - Simple Features (import and export).
  • Enhanced MAP Views Editor
  • Enhanced MAP Attributes interface
  • New and improved Simplify Line functionality
  • New data import optimization with import times reduced by as much as 80%
  • Improved MAP View and MAP Stylesheets panels
  • New MAPublisher License Management system
  • Various other user interface improvements and performance enhancements to improve usability

More about MAPublisher 8.0 for Illustrator

MAPublisher 8.0 for Illustrator is powerful map production software for creating cartographic-quality maps from GIS data. Developed as a suite of plug-ins for Adobe Illustrator, MAPublisher leverages the superior graphics capabilities of this graphics design software for working with GIS data and producing high-quality maps with efficiency.

MAPublisher 8.0 for Illustrator is available free of charge to all MAPublisher for Illustrator customers with a valid maintenance subscription and as an upgrade for non-maintenance members at US$549. New licenses are US$1249. Prices include 1 year of maintenance. Full details are available at www.avenza.com.

More about Avenza Systems Inc.

Avenza Systems Inc. is an award-winning, privately held corporation that provides cartographers and GIS professionals with powerful software tools for making better maps. In addition to software offerings for Mac and Windows users, Avenza offers value-added data sets, product training and consulting services. Visit www.avenza.com for more details.

For further information contact:
Tel: 416-487-5116 Email: info@avenza.com Web: www.avenza.com

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Since Google Maps has been integrated with Flash & where Avenza is offering Flash mapping capabilities into Adobe Illustrator one has to wonder if we won't either see Google Maps in a later package as part of the Flash mapping capabilities or/and a full blown IMS package courtesy of Avenza within the Dreamweaver environment.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Keith Map Service

Keith Map Service

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Geography, mapping, GIS, Fishing, Outdoors, Mountain Biking
  • United States

Does anyone know how well the Export to Flash operates? I wanted to know if it would make the process from Illustrator to Flash a lot easier.
Keith Map Service, Inc.
http://keithmaps.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Does anyone know how well the Export to Flash operates? I wanted to know if it would make the process from Illustrator to Flash a lot easier.

It works very well. I gave it a try and got my first Flash map done in under an hour (which included searching for and entering all the data, because I didn't have suitable attributes for it). The Who Tour map that I posted in the Map Gallery took a bit more time, mainly because again I had to put in all the attributes and I wanted to locate the coordinates of the actual venues, not just the cities they played in.

All the interactive bits, such as layer control, zooming, searching and having information pop up when you click any map object, is all handled by MAPublisher.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Keith Map Service

Keith Map Service

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:Geography, mapping, GIS, Fishing, Outdoors, Mountain Biking
  • United States

Would I be right in assuming that if you created a city street map in illustrator, you could export to flash and have adrop down box with a list of street names, points o f interest, etc. that could be selected and the map automatically zoom to that location of the text?
Keith Map Service, Inc.
http://keithmaps.com

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

I haven't had a chance yet to work with the Flash authoring features but the new MAP Crop tool absolutely blew me away the first time I used it. The massive amount of time that could be saved when doing special projects would pay for the entire plug-in in weeks.

Great Job!
Rick Dey

Kimi

Kimi

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

Would I be right in assuming that if you created a city street map in illustrator, you could export to flash and have a drop down box with a list of street names, points o f interest, etc. that could be selected and the map automatically zoom to that location of the text?

Hello! Good point!! I will let our programmers know about your message. Unfortunately, MAPublisher 8.0 - MAP Web Author does not have a dropdown menu. This version of MAP Web Author is our very first Flash map exporter and this version includes the basic functions of Flash web maps such as zooming in and out, panning, layer control (checkbox with layer visibilities), callout bubbles (bubble with the information derived from the attribute information) etc etc... If you take a look at our website, we posted some simple examples of Flash maps we created through the development stages. (MAP Web Author page : http://www.avenza.com/mapwebauthor.html at Avenza Systems Inc.). You can see Han's map from the website as well (Thanks again for your great map, Hans!) We are planning to add more maps when I make some flash maps. :) I hope this helps you get some information on our MAP Web Author.

Again, this is our very first Flash exporter from Adobe Illustrator & MAPublisher 8.0. Take a look at our MAP Web Author! Try it out if you have got a chance:) We would love to hear from you guys about what you think of it (and any other features with MAPublisher 8.0!) and what you would like to see with the future release of MAPublisher!

If you would like to try our evaluation version (with all the functions and features!!), please go to our evaluation page (http://www.avenza.co...emo.mp80ai.html). If you have got any question, just drop me a line at kimi@avenza.com. I will be happy to hear from you guys!

Happy mapping!!
Kimi :)

Avenza Systems Inc.
124 Merton Street, Suite 400,
Toronto, Ontario, M4S 2Z2, Canada
Webpage: http://www.avenza.com

Kimi

Kimi

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

I haven't had a chance yet to work with the Flash authoring features but the new MAP Crop tool absolutely blew me away the first time I used it. The massive amount of time that could be saved when doing special projects would pay for the entire plug-in in weeks.

Great Job!

Hi, Rick! I will send your message to our developers! Your message will make our developers so happy! :D MAP Vector Crop tool is one of my favourite tools in MAPublisher now !

Thanks, Rick!
Kimi

Avenza Systems Inc.
124 Merton Street, Suite 400,
Toronto, Ontario, M4S 2Z2, Canada
Webpage: http://www.avenza.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->