5 replies to this topic

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

A couple of weeks ago I post a question about which way for me to peform rasters. I have a 10DEM, Geology, Vegetation, slope and Aspect in raster or vector.

Some have suggested me to go to raster side.

I had a layer of a "mask" of the mountain area that was given to me from White Sands Missile Range GIS dept. I use that
to "mask" with each layer in 10dem, slope, aspect, geology, and vegetation.

I reclassed the slope and aspect that our project leader wants to set.

One thing I realized that you cannot carry over all the attributes from raster layer because they disappear when you run a process. The only thing it keeps is the value and the count.

Now my question here is how do I do the "Intersect" (you do that in vector layers) but in raster side ?

Please advise me ?

Thanks,
Robert

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Rob, you may want to review some literature on GIS and raster processing, including the help file of the software you are using. It is not very complicated, the concepts at least, but it requires some special thinking. Basically you have to think of your rasters (assuming they have the same cell size and reference) as multiple spreadsheets or matrices. Or actually as different attributes of a polygon.

The cell at x 43 and y 82 has the value in the aspect grid, vegetation grid etc as attributes.

So now you can query this database and create new fields/attributes (e.g. grids) based on those using selection criteria.

And to make things more complicated - you can take space into account - the neighborhoods of the cells (zonal functions, neighborhood functions...)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

I just performed all the work and came up what I wanted so it looks great. Just a lot of steps to do.

Happy Holidays

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

I just performed all the work and came up what I wanted so it looks great. Just a lot of steps to do.

Happy Holidays

Now my new question here is :

I have this raster data that has 1,202,499 records that would not show each slope, aspect, elevation, geology description and vegetation names in the symbology's unique values ?
It would not show anything in ArcMap? The only thing it will show in ArcMap is the value's.

I reclass slope and aspect then populate them with the table for each slope,aspect, elevation, geology and vegetation.

I then use the Mask to take out the dem to apply the Mountain area.

The purpose here is to display each of them for our soil scientist to know where it apply with the our soil line work.

Also, How do I do with the legend for each of them to print it in 24 x 36 ?

Please advise ?

Thanks,

Robert

P.S. Please exuse my grammar but let me know if you need further details, I'll be happy to clarify more.

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

A couple of weeks ago I post about performed rasters overlays.

A couple of weeks ago I post a question about which way for me to peform rasters. I have a 10DEM, Geology, Vegetation, slope and Aspect in raster or vector.

I had a layer of a "mask" of the mountain area that was given to me from White Sands Missile Range GIS dept. I use that
to "mask" with each layer in 10dem, slope, aspect, geology, and vegetation. Then I reclassed the slope and aspect.

The new question here I did after this. I use the combine to merge all of the layers into a one set layer then made table joins for each geology, vegetation, slope, aspect and the elevation, but the problem here is that it has 1,202,499 records and when i load it to ArcMap. It was fine until when I go to the layer's properties to change the unique values to each value field. It will not show the values in ArcMap. Does anyone out there have a way to fix the problem ?

Thanks,
Robert
USDA-NRCS
Las Cruces Soil Survey
Las Cruces, New Mexico
USA

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Robert,

I took the liberty of merging your threads.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->