Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, Hiking, Natural History, Photgraphy, Travel, Food
  • United States

Greetings,

I am very new to AI, so please be patient.

I exported a map from ArcView GIS to a PDF
I then opened the PDF in AI CS 2 and saved it as an AI file.

The problem I am having is deleting sections with out deleting others.
The map is outlined with a blue box. This should be obvious what it is and what it is for, but I can find no example of it in the User Guide.
When I select the sections I want to delete it also selects the blue line box around the rest of the map.
When I delete the selections it also deletes other parts of the map I want to retain.

I cannot seem to deselect the blue lines on the whole map.

I can go in and select each segment, letter etc, but it seem there must be a better way

Here are screen shots:

http://mbreiding.us/delete_selections/

Here is the PDF. It is almost 2 meg is size.
http://mbreiding.us/..._Final_copy.pdf

Thanks,
-Mike

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Mike,

You've got two things going on here causing you some problems. First it appears that you've got a duplicate layer in there that will just confuse the issue when deleting things, you might want to get rid of one of those first. Second, my guess is that you are using the Selection tool (black arrow) and not the Direct selection (white Arrow) or Group Selection tool (white arrow with plus). When the file was created all elements of the file were grouped together, selecting any one thing with the selection tool will select everything.

Using the Group selection tool, marquee some of the map you want to keep above the inset and then hide it (Object>Hide>Selection or command-3 ), do the same to some of the area to the left of the inset. Now you'll be able to safely marquee the inset to delete it without catching any of the main map. When you're done getting rid of stuff unhide everything (Object>Show All). I think thats what you're looking for.
Rick Dey

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I haven't looked at the PDF file, but it seems like the box is the clipping mask, that ArcMap always creates. Use the layers palette, and select the clipping mask, convert that to paths, lock it and toggle the visibility. Or just delete it.

Why covert to path/lock? That way you can match other/revised data that you are exporting from ArcMap later (if the view is exactly the same)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

Hi Rick,
There are two layers. I created a dupe to work on. This time I made sure the original was locked and hidden.

I used the Group selecteion tool as you suggested above. Whe I did this it also selected the bounding box of the entire map and and some of the lines in both the inset and main map.

I was careful to only marquee the area I wanted to hide, but I could not limit the selection(s) to the main map.

There are screen shots and comments here:
http://mbreiding.us/clip_mask/

Thanks,
-Mike

Mike,

You've got two things going on here causing you some problems.  First it appears that you've got a duplicate layer in there that will just confuse the issue when deleting things, you might want to get rid of one of those first.  Second, my guess is that you are using the Selection tool (black arrow) and not the Direct selection (white Arrow) or Group Selection tool (white arrow with plus).  When the file was created all elements of the file were grouped together, selecting any one thing with the selection tool will select everything.

Using the Group selection tool, marquee some of the map you want to keep above the inset and then hide it (Object>Hide>Selection or command-3 ),  do the same to some of the area to the left of the inset.  Now you'll be able to safely marquee the inset to delete it without catching any of the main map.  When you're done getting rid of stuff unhide everything (Object>Show All).  I think thats what you're looking for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

Greetings,
I am using ArcView 3.1 not ArcMap. I located the clipping mask in the layers palette. I cannot find a way to convert it to a path. I tried right clicking and checking the layers menu as well. I tried dragging it to the trash, but this did not delete it.

I must be missing something.

There are screen shots and comments here:
http://mbreiding.us/clip_mask/

Thanks,
-Mike
======================

I haven't looked at the PDF file, but it seems like the box is the clipping mask, that ArcMap always creates. Use the layers palette, and select the clipping mask, convert that to paths, lock it and toggle the visibility. Or just delete it.

Why covert to path/lock? That way you can match other/revised data that you are exporting from ArcMap later (if the view is exactly the same)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

for deleting the clipping mask, the easiest is to just press the "del" key (in windows at least). To convert it to a path, check on the Object menu, release it as a clipping mask.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

I finally deleted the mask.
For some reason the mask kept reappearing after deletion.

Thanks,
-Mike

for deleting the clipping mask, the easiest is to just press the "del" key (in windows at least). To convert it to a path, check on the Object menu, release it as a clipping mask.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Probably because a mask is created on every layer... so if you export a 6 layer map, at least 6 clipping masks wil be generated. The easiest way to delete them all in one step is to first release them, then to go to outline mode (ctrl+ y) and select with a box using the group selection tool (white arrow with + sign) over the lines. This will grab all the lines at once so you can delete them all in one step.

mg

Mike Breiding

Mike Breiding

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • United States

Thanks!

-Mike

Probably because a mask is created on every layer... so if you export a 6 layer map, at least 6 clipping masks wil be generated. The easiest way to delete them all in one step is to first release them, then to go to outline mode (ctrl+ y) and select with a box using the group selection tool (white arrow with + sign)  over the lines. This will grab all the lines at once so you can delete them all in one step.

mg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->