5 replies to this topic

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Very cool interactive map displaying real estate value in Portland OR.

The cartographic accuracy could use some improvement, but it's always fun to see mapping from a graphic designer's perspective.

http://www.portlandm...by-the-numbers/
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Heavier on design and looks rather than powerful communication, isn't it?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

What about the cartographic accuracy seems problematic? How would a map such as this benefit from highly accurate mapping of the sandbars in the rivers?
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

What about the cartographic accuracy seems problematic? How would a map such as this benefit from highly accurate mapping of the sandbars in the rivers?

You beat me to it, Dennis...good posting.

Not EVERY map needs to show hyper-accuracy, scale, etc. to do an effective job of communication and serving its basic purpose. If it did, then I would jokingly argue (for example) that most World atlases or globes I have ever seen or purchased are garbage...because I could not find my street (or even my town, county or possibly even STATE) listed on it. ;)

I think it was in Dennis' session either in Missoula or St. Louis...where he mentioned something to the effect of every good/great map starts with information, then is finally "finished" once the cartographer/designer realized that he/she cannot remove any more information from in without negatively impacting its overall effectiveness. LESS IS MORE a great deal of the time! So many people try to seem to cram MORE information on to maps and diagrams than is necessary...just because they can. However, how would MORE information on that Portland neighborhood boundaries map aid that particular presentation of information? Considering the application and audience?
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

For one thing there is a very annoying Louisiana-shaped area in the Southern section of the Southeast map (next to Pleasant Valley and Lents) that has no attribution. It is clearly in the Pleasant Valley neighborhood based on the February 2008 update - I just checked. B)
Attached File  image001.png   279.04KB   50 downloads

Seriously though - overall I think it is well designed gives the user a good idea of the geography in question. I wish the suburban areas had map labels however. The one thing I really like about the map is that it includes the sub-urban areas North of the Columbia River in Washington State. Vancouver, Camas. etc. are bedroom communities for Portland - but the State Line typically precludes data integration.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

My comment was not related to it being simplified rather than accurate - more that the map is just a fancy navigation thing to that indicator/profile table, which I think could have been made more powerful. I could think of more interesting things one could do with that data, rather than just to compare selected neighborhoods (in that table view, which I don't find that useful). It would have been much more powerful to map some of these variables and compare the districts that way. Or to say - factor a, b and c are very important for me to find a house, but not d - which districts are best?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->