josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hi there all.

Now I have come to the time where I want to put my data into a folder and give it to my client. They will also have a GIS program. However, I am wondering if anyone has any tips on this process. For example, shall I save the data as layer files? And in this case must I also include the database?

Also any other cool ideas would be greatly appreciated. I would like them to really be able to use the data easily and understand it fully.

Thanks

Josie

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

That depends on what you are working in and what they are working in. If both in the same system the I would set up the MXD as you see fit and have the database (or shapefiles in the same or a sub directory. Set the MXD to use relative data sources so it doesn't matter where they place the folder of data you send them and then zip the folder up and send.

So I've used Arc speak here but it should translate to other systems. If you were to save the layer files then this is just the same as saving the mxd—yes you still need to include the data sources (database/shp files) as a layer file just stores symbolgy and where to find the source.

Hope this helps.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

If you use Arc and have multiple data source and want to put them all in one folder, you could use a new tool from ArcScript (or one that has just been updated) "Simple MXD Packager - copy all layers to a single location". I didn't had the pleasure to try it for now, but I've been told it works very well.

This script is designed to make it easier to copy an MXD, SXD or 3DD document onto a CD or DVD, by automatically copying all the required datasets into a single location, and changing the layers in the project to point to the new location.

Feature layers and tables will be copied to a new file geodatabase, while raster layers will be copied to the same directory.

Could worth a try!

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Nice find François—thanks! This could be a great help. Now it just needs an option to be able to clip and reproject the data to the mxd's layout frame at the same step—that's right we're never happy. :D
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Nice find François—thanks! This could be a great help. Now it just needs an option to be able to clip and reproject the data to the mxd's layout frame at the same step—that's right we're never happy. :D

Dont worry, I had the same thought. It can be done with ArcPublisher though, right?

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Thanks guys! I will give this a go. I will let you know how it goes!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->