9 replies to this topic

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

I recently traveled to Japan to interview more than 40 high-level people in politics, government, and academe for a project. My Japanese colleague suggested some souvenir sorts of items to give as thank-you gifts, but this did not appeal to me and I resolved to make something a bit more personal. This cartogram is the result. I printed up copies on high-quality paper and my wife had them finely mounted before wrapping them exquisitely. My colleague was somewhat skeptical, but agreed that they seemed to go over very well.

Attached File  Storm_tossed_seas_cartogram.jpg   719.3KB   231 downloads

I used Tom Patterson’s wonderful Natural Earth III, projected with Manifold 8.0 and edited and finished with Photoshop CS3.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

P Riggs

P Riggs

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Playing music; studying French language, culture, and history; listening to old time radio; learning and playing accordion; hiking, though I don't get to do much now with having young children, will change in the future; fly-fishing, same as hiking; reading
  • United States

I really like the unusual viewpoint. I'm so used to seeing views of the earth centered either on a continent or the Atlantic Ocean, it's interesting to see one centered on the Pacific. Lot's of blue!
Philip Riggs
Decorative-Maps.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

It looks great but I must admit I dont understand the message. How do storm tossed seas smooth distances?
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Lovely picture. How were the clouds rendered?

Looks like a map rather than a cartogram to me.

Japanese gift-giving customs are hard to get Western heads wrapped around, but from what little I know, I suspect these would go over quite well...

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

It looks great but I must admit I dont understand the message. How do storm tossed seas smooth distances?

It's a verse more or less in the Japanese haiku style. Haiku generally have nature topics and very frequently are somewhat enigmatic or ambivalent. One way to read this one is that the United States and Japan are separated by a large stretch of particularly tempestuous ocean and yet are close friends and allies.

Lovely picture. How were the clouds rendered?

The clouds were very simple -- for me. That is, Tom Patterson did all the heavy cloud-lifting. See
http://www.shadedrel...ges/clouds.html

It was the easy availability of the storm clouds that suggested the poem.
Will O'Neil

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Very nice! I think this is really an original gift, and a great message. Did you write the haiku yourself?

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

Very nice! I think this is really an original gift, and a great message. Did you write the haiku yourself?

Yes, I wrote it. It was an interesting process, because the map and making it did so much to suggest the verse itself.

Nice to hear that you like it!
Will O'Neil

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Very nice piece! I am sure it was well received.

It's not quite a Cartogram - not quite a Haiku (5-7-5)...

Perhaps it could be the first Cartaiku? :blink:

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

not quite a Haiku (5-7-5)...

The question is 5-7-5 of what? In Japanese haiku the answer is 5-7-5 morae (or on), not sylables as usually stated. The Japanese on is a finer division of sound and a Japanese will often hear more on in a word than sylables as would be counted by an English-speaker. Moreover, for technical reasons, English on average has singinficantly more information per sylable than Japanese. As a result, translated Haiku usually come out with considerably fewer than 17 sylables unless deliberately padded.

For this reason, those who wish to duplicate in English the lapidary concision that is at the heart of the Japanese haiku often use a meter of 3-5-3 sylables. To my ear, an English verse with 5-7-5 sylables always sounds far too prolix for real haiku.

Several people with literary tastes and fluency in both languages immediately identified it as a haiku and called it as such without prompting.
Will O'Neil

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

not quite a Haiku (5-7-5)...

The question is 5-7-5 of what? In Japanese haiku the answer is 5-7-5 morae (or on), not sylables as usually stated. The Japanese on is a finer division of sound and a Japanese will often hear more on in a word than syllables as would be counted by an English-speaker. Moreover, for technical reasons, English on average has significantly more information per syllable than Japanese. As a result, translated Haiku usually come out with considerably fewer than 17 syllables unless deliberately padded.

For this reason, those who wish to duplicate in English the lapidary concision that is at the heart of the Japanese haiku often use a meter of 3-5-3 syllables. To my ear, an English verse with 5-7-5 syllables always sounds far too prolix for real haiku.

Several people with literary tastes and fluency in both languages immediately identified it as a haiku and called it as such without prompting.

Well said! And the cart-o-gram is a great pun :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->