6 replies to this topic

Horizonav

Horizonav

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Nautical charts, offshore navigation
  • United States

I have been a ship Captain for 37 years and I am a student of navigation and nautical charts. For years I have always made my own hand drawn custom charts for many areas and for many commercial uses. I did this out of necessity and also because it was alot of fun! I would literally cut and paste paper charts together to get what I needed. Then I would take the original down tho the reprographics place for a few copies usually on erasable velum. I have quite the chart library.

I am very computer literate and I am very interested in learning how to create the charts I need with computer based programs and methods. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi and welcome! Sounds like an interesting background, and I would love to hear more on how you approach this further.

I am not sure where to start in introducing you to modern cartography... Map-making often starts with acquiring the data and creating a database in a geographical information systems (GIS) software (ArcGIS, MapInfo, Manifold, qGIS etc) and either finish the map there or export it to a graphic design package for further finishing (Illustrator, Photoshop, Corel DRAW etc). Some people on this forum are using Avenza's MAPublisher which is a plugin for Illustrator which gives it some very basic GIS functionality.

Depending on what kind of charts you would make, the data acquisition might be the trickiest.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Kimi

Kimi

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

I have been a ship Captain for 37 years and I am a student of navigation and nautical charts. For years I have always made my own hand drawn custom charts for many areas and for many commercial uses. I did this out of necessity and also because it was alot of fun! I would literally cut and paste paper charts together to get what I needed. Then I would take the original down tho the reprographics place for a few copies usually on erasable velum. I have quite the chart library.

I am very computer literate and I am very interested in learning how to create the charts I need with computer based programs and methods. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Hi! If you would like to draw maps with nautical charts, hydrography, and bathymetry, take a look at MAPublisher 8 :) MAPublisher now supports S-57 data format. You might be interested in it. :)

Happy mapping!
Kimi

Avenza Systems Inc.
124 Merton Street, Suite 400,
Toronto, Ontario, M4S 2Z2, Canada
Webpage: http://www.avenza.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi! If you would like to draw maps with nautical charts, hydrography, and bathymetry, take a look at MAPublisher 8 :) MAPublisher now supports S-57 data format. You might be interested in it. :)

Happy mapping!
Kimi

A scoop? It's not on Avenza's site yet!

Kimi

Kimi

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Canada

A scoop? It's not on Avenza's site yet!

Yes ;)
MAPublisher 8.0 will be released very very shortly.... stay tuned!

Cheers,
Kimi

Avenza Systems Inc.
124 Merton Street, Suite 400,
Toronto, Ontario, M4S 2Z2, Canada
Webpage: http://www.avenza.com

Horizonav

Horizonav

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Nautical charts, offshore navigation
  • United States

Thanks to you all for your ideas. I will check it out!
I would like to ask further questions. What forum is best? General Cartography?
Thanks!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks to you all for your ideas. I will check it out!
I would like to ask further questions. What forum is best? General Cartography?

Depends a bit on the subject of your question of course, but don't worry, if you inadvertently post it in the wrong section, one of the mods will move it. In any case, General Cartography would probabely be a good place to start I suppose.

Oh, and welcome to Cartotalk!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->