• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

AhmedF

AhmedF

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

We recently released a tool, similar to Wikipedia, that lets you draw out informal space (neighborhoods, parks, landmarks, even pathways).

To get it jump started we've released two sets showing off what it can do - Manhattan Neighborhoods and NYC Subway Points

All completely downloadable however and whenever you want - we support JSON, Google Maps JS, GeoRSS, and KML.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

We recently released a tool, similar to Wikipedia, that lets you draw out informal space (neighborhoods, parks, landmarks, even pathways).

To get it jump started we've released two sets showing off what it can do - Manhattan Neighborhoods and NYC Subway Points

All completely downloadable however and whenever you want - we support JSON, Google Maps JS, GeoRSS, and KML.

Thanks Ahmed. Not sure I found this informative like Wikipedia, such as clicking on a neighborhood did not reveal any description or info about it. Kinda wondering what the intended use is. Could use a bit more vector detail in subway map, plus a legend :D

Thanks!

AhmedF

AhmedF

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks Ahmed. Not sure I found this informative like Wikipedia, such as clicking on a neighborhood did not reveal any description or info about it. Kinda wondering what the intended use is. Could use a bit more vector detail in subway map, plus a legend :D

Thanks!

Well - when I meant Wikipedia, I meant more in the model - anyone can create, edit, and download the data whenever they want.

The applications are not directly on our site, but for other developers. Eg lets say you are doing a site for Manhattan - and you want to provide the closest subway stop to an address. You can download a list of all subway stops from our site, and then use simple radial math to figure out the closest subway stop (and how far away it is).

Or lets say you are making a site for El Paso, TX - and you want to draw out the neighborhoods for that city. Using iBegin Places you can create it and make it fairly easy to download the data, while also letting the data be available to everyone else. A collaborative effort.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->