rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Posted Image

This seems rather interesting. A few more informative articles available online here and here.

The names are interesting but the maps seemed to be a little generalized . . . .

Somehow, Bogart saying "We'll always have the City of Boatmen" just doesn't have the same ring to it . . .

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Nice one! :)

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

In support of an interesting idea, I ordered the "World" edition.

Just a note... They have not printed the World maps yet, and are out of stock on the Europe edition..
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Placename origins is one of my favorite topics. I've done a few Native American placename projects and so much of the work out there is incorrect - it was mis-interpreted by the first European and it stayed slanted ever since. A colleague and I discussed these maps in particular and I'll just paste his take:

"Chicago? “Stink Onion,” after a Native American term for the smell of rotting marshland onions."

<<Wrong I'm pretty sure - at least in the pejorative sense it's being used. Chigagou - "Wild Garlic Place" - pungent maybe, but yummy, and certainly not rotting. Potawatomi word (and land), yes? I thinks I smells some Eurocentric bias and maybe some slapdash scholarship too. A lot of those names seem rather dubious to me. >>

I'm happy to see these maps get published and catch the publics attention, but it's frustrating because so often the content is not truthful, and that only serves to make a mess of things.

mike
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

sitesatlas

sitesatlas

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Spain

The cartographers behind the Atlas of True Names recently published their map of the United States. The idea behind these maps is definitely original and I really like the clear labels, soft colors, and nice relief shading. There's a zoomable version in this brief Slate article.

Michael Borop
World Sites Atlas
http://www.sitesatlas.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Wonderful!

ravells

ravells

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • United Kingdom

What a great find, thanks for posting!

Create beautiful fantasy maps at the Cartographers' Guild

My Portfolio

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

I did purchase the map of Canada from these guys and I was a little disappointed for a couple of reasons: 1) the map was smaller than I had anticipated (18 inches x 24 inches or so - not very big when considering the size of the country); 2) I found some of the text hard to read, both on the map side and on the reverse side which provides a bit of an explanation as to the meaning of the names; and 3) Haida Gwaii, formerly the Queen Charlotte Islands, was officially renamed in 2009 and means something completely different than "Queen Freewoman Islands." Nevertheless, it makes for an interesting read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->