14 replies to this topic

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

I want to create a model builder using ArcGIS 9.2.

I have one big 10m DEM that needs to be cut into pieces by using Quad 12k layer . I have these individual 12k quads in my file geodatabase and they are 338 layers.

I want to use "Extract by Mask" to clip the DEM and then rename them to name each quad name.

Could I do this ? I tried to do this way and i am not getting what I want. Does anyone out there tell me a better way ?

Thanks,
Robert

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

I want to create a model builder using ArcGIS 9.2.

I have one big 10m DEM that needs to be cut into pieces by using Quad 12k layer . I have these individual 12k quads in my file geodatabase and they are 338 layers.

I want to use "Extract by Mask" to clip the DEM and then rename them to name each quad name.

Could I do this ? I tried to do this way and i am not getting what I want. Does anyone out there tell me a better way ?

Thanks,
Robert

You can try using the Split tool (Analysis Tools>Extract>Split) to do the job. It will also name the individual split files as per the Quad name.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

You can try using the Split tool (Analysis Tools>Extract>Split) to do the job. It will also name the individual split files as per the Quad name.

Anu

I didn't know it works with raster too (I'm very happy to know that! :) ), but that's what I always do to split data...

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Anu

I didn't know it works with raster too (I'm very happy to know that! :) ), but that's what I always do to split data...

The Analysis Tool with the Spilt does not apply to raster. This tool is for vector only , so I think she misunderstood me. Yes I use that split tool to break the quad line. I only need to break the raster (DEM) into quad using the quad as a mask.

Robert

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Could you describe what happens/what goes wrong when you attempt to use the "Extract by Mask" tool?

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Could you describe what happens/what goes wrong when you attempt to use the "Extract by Mask" tool?

The problem when you try to extract by mask for each polygon and then the output will just create one raster layer. All I want the output to create each raster using each quad.

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Could you attach a schematic of your Model Builder strategy? Also, are you asking the same question on the ESRI User Forum site? While there is plenty of expertise in GIS on this site, there is much more on the ESRI site.

http://support.esri....=forums.gateway

M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Could you attach a schematic of your Model Builder strategy? Also, are you asking the same question on the ESRI User Forum site? While there is plenty of expertise in GIS on this site, there is much more on the ESRI site.

http://support.esri....=forums.gateway

M.

I have post the same question in that ESRI Support website. There should be a script or AML that allows us to do that to
clip a DEM using a quad as a mask or polygon. I know there must be a way around to do that.

Thanks
By the way, you are to north from me ! I am from Las Cruces !
Robert

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Anu

Hi

Sorry for the goof up, you are right it works only for vector.

The best solution for cutting off sequential tiles (square or rectangle) from any raster (including DEM) is available in Global Mapper. It has Grid export option where one can specify pixel information or for a DEM the rows and columns information for the tiles. Since the DEM needs to be cut to a mask of 12k, it shall be sequential equal tiles. Though the naming will not be as per the 12k mask but conforming to any sequential pattern that you can choose.

It also has an overlap option too where some pixel overlap can be defined for adjacent tiles. I found this solution pretty simple and straight forward for achieving part solution of the problem.

Best..

Anu
http://mapsandlocations.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hate to repeat myself, but FME can do this :D

Clip a raster to a set of vectors and then write it out to seperate files based on an attribute from the vectors. In FME-speak, it's called a Fanout.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

I think the next time I'm going to ask a question, I'm going to ask straighforwardly: "hey Hans, can we do this with FME or Manifold?" :P I'm gonna save us a lot of time! ;)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I think the next time I'm going to ask a question, I'm going to ask straighforwardly: "hey Hans, can we do this with FME or Manifold?" :P I'm gonna save us a lot of time! ;)

I have various FME related snippets of text on hotkeys here, saves me a lot of time ;)

Naah, just kidding. I'm trying not to sound like an advertisement here, but it is a great tool for automating GIS-tasks. In fact, I'm doing a talk on Monday at the European FME User Meeting in Münster, Germany. Subject will be how I've used FME in support of the cartographic production process. It's a presentation that sort of evolved from the one I gave at NACIS last year. I'll post it here afterwards.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Clip a raster to a set of vectors and then write it out to seperate files based on an attribute from the vectors. In FME-speak, it's called a Fanout.

Hans,
Isn't it time to just add this line to your signature? :)

Robert2009

Robert2009

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • United States

Hello,

Finally, the model builder I have been asking fo worked ! The only thing you cannot rename it, so I will just leave at it.
Somebody from ESRI Support online helped me out. If you are interested in that, just let me know.

Happy Holidays !

Robert

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Finally, the model builder I have been asking fo worked ! The only thing you cannot rename it, so I will just leave at it.
Somebody from ESRI Support online helped me out. If you are interested in that, just let me know.

We are always interested! (at least, I am! ;) )

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->