8 replies to this topic

Sam Pepple

Sam Pepple

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

My task is representing scenic byways on top of a road network; I copy the necessary road, paste in front, then change the specs of the line. That seems easy and intuitive enough, but I don't want the byway line to sit directly on top of the roads. Instead, I want the byway to sit at the right side of the line (somewhat butted up against it) . *roads appear white 1pt. byway is orange dashed square butts

I can think of a few ways of doing this:
I can cut the line up into pieces of similar directions and bump it over the width of my line, then rejoin all pieces
I can laboriously move anchor points (see attached a).
Or most preferentially, I can use the Offset Path tool to bump the whole byway over without having to cut or join any lines. The problem is the product of the offset path tool is two lines, one on each side of my road (see attached b); I only want the one on the right side, but can't find anyway to get around this. All of the tutorials on the web are mainly for using offset path to create special effects with the text (which really makes me cringe

Attached File  a.png   170.24KB   58 downloads
Attached File  b.png   64.51KB   64 downloads

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I think you are on the right track with your last option. I recall a rather elegant description of solving a problem like this on Cartotalk that required the use of outlining (a thickened) stroke and using the pathfinder tool to remove part of the line.

I'll try and hunt around for the post...

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • United States

After applying your offset path, you could try Object>Expand Appearance then a couple of snips with the Scissors Tool and delete the side that you don't want.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Sam Pepple

Sam Pepple

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

Adam.

Thanks so much. That did the trick. Brilliant!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I could have sworn there was a post by Nick a few years ago showing how he made coastal vignettes. There was a way to add mutliple strokes to a line and then offset them to a certain direction. On the other hand, it could just as well have been an area, which would be a different story. Anyway, I tried to search for the post but couldn't find it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

I could have sworn there was a post by Nick a few years ago showing how he made coastal vignettes. There was a way to add mutliple strokes to a line and then offset them to a certain direction. On the other hand, it could just as well have been an area, which would be a different story. Anyway, I tried to search for the post but couldn't find it.

I believe this is the thread you are looking for: Coastal Vignettes Google search to the rescue (site:cartotalk.com "coastal vignettes") for reference!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I believe this is the thread you are looking for: Coastal Vignettes Google search to the rescue (site:cartotalk.com "coastal vignettes") for reference!

I did find that one, but it's not the one I remember (or... think I remember...)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I haven't been able to find it either - but was thinking that if you did the trick that Adam mentioned - you could save the linework as a Graphic Style and re-use it without having to offset and clip a bunch of times.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

An alternative method I sometimes use is to copy the line and paste in front, make that line twice the thickness I want, outline the stroke, then use the outline tool in Pathfinder to "break" the outline where it intersects the original line (I loose all symbology too, but that's easy to fix). Then delete the side of the outline I don't want and join the rest into a polygon.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->