11 replies to this topic

TNGEO

TNGEO

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi,

This is a great site, thank you! Anyways, attached is an overview map for a paper I'm working on, any critique would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JMB

Attached Files

• Attached File  FG1.jpg   536.23KB   331 downloads

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,859 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This is a great site, thank you! Anyways, attached is an overview map for a paper I'm working on, any critique would be greatly appreciated.

Looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of the big prominent text halos. Also, the outline of the highway symbol seems to be misaligned.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

TNGEO

TNGEO

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Looks nice, but I'm not a big fan of the big prominent text halos. Also, the outline of the highway symbol seems to be misaligned.
[/quote]

I concur, but the primary author has some weird fettish with text halos - maybe now I will have just cause to get rid of them.
Thanks

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Nice presentation. I enjoy the colours. The Tennessee map looks a little over-distorted to me and I noticed that the highway goes under rather than over the river up near the top. Good luck with it.
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

ctknoll_ngs

ctknoll_ngs

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • United States

Hi,

Thanks
JMB

JMB,

The map looks very clean and nice. I would consider maybe adding contour numbers or spot elevations since it is a topographical map to give the user an idea of what elevation we are at. I think putting the roads above the river layer is a must as roads always are above the rivers. Also, is the grayed shading to denote the Fiery Gizzard Creek valley? If so maybe a legend item would be good or labeling the actual valley would benefit.

Good luck, what specifically is the paper about, for?

CK

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Very nice map JMB!

I like your locator map and the juxtaposition of the black rectangles in the map title & locator title (and the image of the canyon). I might be inclined to nudge the locator map up a bit and tad to the right to remove the sliver of green around the locator.

With regard to icons - there is often a cartographic quandry when there is a single instance of a specific feature (eg. Foster Falls/Plunge Pool) and whether it is best to use an icon or a label. I think the "Fires Prohibited" icon is a little different as it doesn't necessarily pertain to a single geographic feature, but rather a posted restriction.

There's also the question of titling the legend with "Legend" or just letting it speak for itself - but overall I think this looks very nice.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Wow - really nice map.
I love the relief and contour- how did you do this? All in ArcMap?

My only addition to prev comments, is to fix the road connections - you can do this using Advance setting in the layer properties.
Thanks for sharing!

GeoMapper

GeoMapper

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

JMB,

I agree with the aforementioned comments. You reference the data source at the bottom of the map, TDEC USGS 2008. Since this is for a paper just a reminder to reference all of your data sources properly.

Other than that, good work and thanks for sharing.

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Good looking map. Just one small comment; maybe you should sort the road layer on top of the hydro layer since most roads go over streams....unless you are in rural New Mexico, then the roads go through the streams :P

Great work. Oh yeah, how long is the trail? Mile markers may help the reader determine their hike distance based upon length and topography.

M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

In addition to the previous comments, The north arrow looks funny to me. Its a bit too prominent, and the italicized "N" makes the arrow look like it's not pointing straight up. It's sort of a trick my eyes are playing on me. Otherwise, I think you are off to a great start! It's a very nice looking map.
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

dskendall

dskendall

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • United States

agree with the idea of adding distances along the trail; one of the most useful single piece of information to have regarding the trail.

map maker

map maker

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

Thanks
JMB

great looking map.

A couple of small things that i saw. The top camp ground has parking but cant see a road going into it. Also I assume the gray colouring along side the river is supposed to show low vegetation banks. The grey seems off, might be more realistic if the colour of the banks was used (brown?)
I have no training in map making though just a novice so take my critique as someone who would be buying the maps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->