Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

I've recently had issues with raster layers such as high res.sat. imagery or shaded relief layers being exported out of ArcMap being lower resolution than the native resolution. Is there a way to avoid this? To force Arc to export the raster at native resolution vs. whatever resolution it has resampled the imagery at in the layout.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

I've recently had issues with raster layers such as high res.sat. imagery or shaded relief layers being exported out of ArcMap being lower resolution than the native resolution. Is there a way to avoid this? To force Arc to export the raster at native resolution vs. whatever resolution it has resampled the imagery at in the layout.

Yes, you are right. All ArcGIS exports, say .ai export or raster export have a DPI quality. Now it automatically sets the DPI value of all images to the value you choose whether the inherent value of the image is higher or lower. So it would be good practice probably to choose a DPI value which matches the best resolution image. Just a thought to use the DPI settings to your advantage. But it may have an associated pitfall, the image with coarser resolution will also be exported with higher DPI, the quality will not improve but the image size will be bigger, pixels may be just split.... try it out.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Martin, that issues has bugged me as well, esp. with sat imagery and drgs. Unfortunately I don't have a solution in Arc. If you have access to Global Mapper, I copy the data frame extents, load the imagery in GM, use the extent values as the clipping box, and export to preferred format. Then composite in app of choice with line work/other rasters. You can also control the output resolution; it down samples pretty cleanly.

cheers, rob

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi Martin, we haven't seen you around here for a while. I always copy rasters (not export) to a new layer as a colored png or tif, and bring them in to photoshop, that way you can specify exactly the resolution and how they are resampled - I never use the export (of the whole view) functionality for rasters.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi Martin, we haven't seen you around here for a while. I always copy rasters (not export) to a new layer as a colored png or tif, and bring them in to photoshop, that way you can specify exactly the resolution and how they are resampled - I never use the export (of the whole view) functionality for rasters.

I agree! To export a raster from ArcMap and preserve the resolution, you would have to calculate the map scale and the original resolution in order to know the necessary output resolution. With "Export Data", you should be able to export it a the native resolution, but I'm guessing what you want to do is a little more than that...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->