Cartogirl

Cartogirl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

I have a .txt file with bathy data and I want to bring it into ArcGIS. The problem is that the file is 502mb and Arc seems to be having issues with it's size. I managed to get it into Arc but when I try and export it as a .shp file the system seems to crash out.

I am now trying a program to see if I can split the text file but was wondering if there is another solution to this problem

Cheers
Robyn

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hello,

I have a .txt file with bathy data and I want to bring it into ArcGIS. The problem is that the file is 502mb and Arc seems to be having issues with it's size. I managed to get it into Arc but when I try and export it as a .shp file the system seems to crash out.

I am now trying a program to see if I can split the text file but was wondering if there is another solution to this problem

Cheers
Robyn

What kind of a text file? Is it just points? Wouldn't think the size would be that much of a problem but I could run through FME in a few minutes if you want?
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

What kind of a text file? Is it just points? Wouldn't think the size would be that much of a problem but I could run through FME in a few minutes if you want?

That sounds like something I would say :rolleyes:

But yeah, running it through FME to create a shapefile would probabely do the trick. Given the size, I'm assuming it's LIDAR or other elevation data?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Cartogirl

Cartogirl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Canada

The file is a xyz file containing bathymetric data. There is also a slope xyz file that is much smaller and Arc had no issues dealing with it. Which is what made me think it is the size of the Bathy file that is causing the issues. There are a few million points within it.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

The file is a xyz file containing bathymetric data. There is also a slope xyz file that is much smaller and Arc had no issues dealing with it. Which is what made me think it is the size of the Bathy file that is causing the issues. There are a few million points within it.

Well, like I said, I'd be happy to run it through FME for you. Just email me privately (hans-at-redgeographics-dot-com) and we'll work out the logistics of how to get the data to me, and back...

However, it may be that Arc is simply taking a long time to process the file. The procedure itself isn't all that difficult, but it's the millions of points that take time. I've worked with similar data (both bathymetry and LIDAR) before in FME and there it was a long process too. I should have some old logs somewhere that can give some sort of an idea of how long it can take...
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

You might want to try and import the points into an access .mdb file, then import that into ArcMap. I think the .txt. import might be limited in the same way that excel is, by the no. of points.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->