7 replies to this topic

Jared

Jared

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Hello!

I'm looking for some feedback on these maps. They're wind maps I put together with data available online. The idea is that they'd be to help determine where a wind farm could go. I'm not a professional in the field though, and because of that these are not for a real job, more an exercise, so look at them from a design perspective. Thanks for your comments!

Attached Files

Aris

Aris

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Greece

Hello!

I'm looking for some feedback on these maps. They're wind maps I put together with data available online. The idea is that they'd be to help determine where a wind farm could go. I'm not a professional in the field though, and because of that these are not for a real job, more an exercise, so look at them from a design perspective. Thanks for your comments!

Hello
I have to say that your maps look great. It would be really better though if the maps could have the contour lines as well. The problem i usually face in this kind of maps is that when you are really in need of finding a windy area you spend same hours trying to find out exactly which ridge is the one with the stronger wind. So usually you have the topo map next to the wind map. If you could have both at the same time it would help a lot.
Also i think the maps with the slope restriction are a bit confusing. If i understand correct the red areas are the ones with the wind higher than 7 and at the same time slopes less than 25deg, but the legend indicates only the wind criteria.
By the way if you are working in the renewable field we share the same field and you are the only one i came across the forum.

Aris

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I agree with Aris. Great maps - good project idea.

1st question: What is the purpose of these maps? Are they decision support, and for whom?

Yes, show relief. Also, have a consistent 'basemap': relief, urban areas, key towns/cities, highways. Be judicial with labels - keep focus on the wind data.
Is prevailing wind direction data available (arrows)? Not sure that is relevant to your msg - As it is, the data are useful to identify wind resource areas - but for whom?
To answer that, maybe define public vs private lands (show whichever has least coverage to keep the map clean).

-Chris

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

On the fourth map I think you could make the forest area outlined instead of a solid transparency since it interferes with the wind speed symbology. Also, I agree that hillshade or contour data would be beneficial to the reader to understand patterns of wind speed/direction a bit better. Are there any other protected areas besides the National Forest?

Thanks,
M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Jared

Jared

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Thanks for all the comments. I'll play around with them and see what I get.

By the way, Aris, I'm not in renewable energy right now. I'm finishing up my Masters in GIS. renewable is one of the fields I'm going to be aiming for in the Spring.

Chris, prevailing wind isn't available. At least I didn't see it. I'll double check.

M... I'm not sure if there are other protected areas. I'm sure there are, on a more local level. I'll have to see what's available for the boundaries. Also, the maps don't have much purpose now. They're just for the portfolio as I apply for jobs. What I had in mind was that I was trying to mimic a map that could be used when taking a real initial look at where possible wind farms could be placed... with data freely available online.

Anyways, thanks again for help. I'll post the updated maps once I make some changes tomorrow or this weekend.

Jared

Jared

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

Alright, this is what I've been able to put together. I haven't changed them all, but how are these looking?

I strayed away from making the GMNF an outline just because in a lot of areas, the boundary is so close to itself, it's tough to tell what side you're looking at.

Thanks!

Attached Files

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Nice. I like the hillshade.

Concerning the forest boundary; what is the intended primary message of your map? You could represent the forest area in different ways that would not interfere with the average wind speed symbology (e.g. low density cross hatching, stipples).

Also, I think that the difference in value on your wind speed symbology is not broad enough (the colors look too much alike). Maybe you should consider using green, yellow, orange and red instead of 4 shades of pink/red; or some other colors. If I was interested in this map, I would want to easily pick out the highest wind speed average areas, the lower wind speed average areas are basically filler.

Thanks,
M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Excellent - nice improvement!! Great maps.
I would go ahead and use the outline for the NF, even use a slight inner buffer - and put it in the legend. Also minimize the town/city boundaries - not sure this is too useful.
I couldn't get too much use out of the avg speed legend - on the map it was hard to read - you could just add a label in the center of each grid unit?

You should share these with local media and NGOs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->