4 replies to this topic

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
Well as time is going by I am getting a bit better with Illustrator (CS2) and MAPublisher (6.2)... while surfing for some ways to add character to the map I've been working on, I came across the article -Basic Appearances- on cartogram.com that explains how Gordan was able to create the glow effect to one of his products.

My question is this- I have lakes in my map that where imported from a shapefile when I follow the process to the point where I select (Effect> Stylize> Inner Glow) or in IllustratorCS2 it is "Glowing Edges" however the Glowing Edges command is greyed out .... is this due to the fact that the lakes are a shapefile .... is there some other way to accomplish the glowing edges.... or am I out of luck?

Any and all advice is welcomed.

Thanks,

Len

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

My question is this- I have lakes in my map that where imported from a shapefile when I follow the process to the point where I select (Effect> Stylize> Inner Glow) or in IllustratorCS2 it is "Glowing Edges" however the Glowing Edges command is greyed out .... is this due to the fact that the lakes are a shapefile .... is there some other way to accomplish the glowing edges.... or am I out of luck?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the same command is available through the filter menu. Filter > Stylize > Inner Glow, iirc. Many of these effects can be accessed through both the Effects and the Filter menu. I'm not sure what the difference is.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Claude

Claude

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • United States

Just to touch on Hans' comment: Effects are appearances that don't change the basic nature of the object, and consequently one can alter the effect's properties by double-clicking in the appearance palette. Very handy!
The fiilters actually are changes that have some permanence and I don't think they can be altered.
Platts, a div. of McGraw-Hill
www.maps.platts.com

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

FWIW- you are correct that Effects do not permenantly change an objects appearance (it's just a temporary state) but unfortunately there isn't a corollary Filter to create an inner glow. I think you can only add an inner glow in Illustrator as an Effect.

I think the reason it is greyed out is related to the color mode you are in. Try switching color modes and check it out.
__
Matthew

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

LenHoffman

LenHoffman

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States
Thanks for all of the info.

I did change to RGB and that did allow me to chose the effect>stylize>glowing edges however I couldn't figure out how to add color to it ( user error - lack of Illustrator knowledge ) however I open the effect library and used the underbrush effect and got a nice water effect. I also added a ouline for the lake to get the shoreline the lake pixeled very little on the edge put to the naked eye you can't tell. This is only going to be a printed map the image attached is at 250% zoom

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->