benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Decided to start a new post that is more descriptive, since I've become motivated to do the work myself instead of purchase it from someone else!

Again, I am basing my maps on the following page:
http://www.mapresour...bes&name=Globes

Here is what I have come up with (using ArcView 3.1), can someone help/explain why my lat/long lines are disappearing on the bottom of the globe?

I am using an Orthographic Sphere projection with central meridian of -72.5 and reference latitude of 20.5. My lat/long lines are at 15 degree intervals.

Attached Files

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

It would appear that they disappear as they exit the view of the perspective. Like wise they do the same out in the Pacific ocean where the lines leave your perspective. I think what you're looking for is to place another line around the horizon to close the image or change the background color. There is no definition to the edge of the image. The white oceans and white background are just blending together.
Rick Dey

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I have been using the xplanet software (windows version) to prepare small reference/overview maps to put in the corner of other more small scale thematic maps.

Attached File  output.png   84.94KB   113 downloads
Attached File  reference_malindi_low.jpg   17.05KB   117 downloads

Using Xplanet I can reproject any image (all raster, of course) onto a globe, centered on any arbtriary point. It is also possible to remove the shading of the sphere and things like that. One could use a 2 color image with just land/sea and easily vectorize this in Illustrator afterwards
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

benbakelaar

benbakelaar

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:maps, information, technology, scripting, computers
  • United States

Thanks frax, that's an invaluable piece of software! If I have time this week, I will put together the collection of regional (continents really) maps and post them to the gallery.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

ben, I have set up a batch file that renders the globe centered on any arbitrary lat/long point that I might need. Whenever I need a globe like that for reference, I just run that batch file.

The basic line of the file is like this:
call xplanet.exe -searchdir . -config config/renderPlanet -longitude %thisLongitude% -latitude %thisLatitude% -geometry %thisSize%x%thisSize% -starfreq 0 -background backgroundWhite.png -num_times 1 -transpng output.png

There are a few lines before that take the in-parameters, but if you have some very basic programming skills you should be able to figure this out, otherwise the batch file is attached... the %thisSize% variable is the size in pixels (since the maps are square, the top and bottom pixel sizes are the same).

Cheers,
Hugo
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->