Yong

Yong

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Hong Kong

Hi,

Been trying to do something like this (from Greeninfo.org)
Posted Image

I have a raster hillshade layer but dunno how to 'paint' it with my thematic layers in ArcGIS.
Have success in Idrisi though using the Illuminate command.

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

Hi,

Been trying to do something like this (from Greeninfo.org)

I have a raster hillshade layer but dunno how to 'paint' it with my thematic layers in ArcGIS.
Have success in Idrisi though using the Illuminate command.

You can adjust the colors of your hillshade using the Symbology properties of that layer.

For your thematic layers, you can adjust it's transparency in the layer properties, and of course, adjust the colors as well.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Ah GreenInfo! Good people.

Well, I know they do value their relief basemap (their bread & butter) which is used on many of their maps - esp. California.
To get get the thematic shading (landuse, vegetation, etc.) you have to look at raster functions, not simple polygon transparency.
Is that what you are trying to do?

Yong

Yong

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Hong Kong

have done this in Erdas as well. There is a document on how to do this, called painted shaded relief (i think). So when i see maps like these in greeninfo and NationalGeographic magazines, makes me wonder how to do it in ArcGIS. I don't think transparency alone will do the trick.

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

have done this in Erdas as well. There is a document on how to do this, called painted shaded relief (i think). So when i see maps like these in greeninfo and NationalGeographic magazines, makes me wonder how to do it in ArcGIS. I don't think transparency alone will do the trick.

I usually do this in Illustrator. I export my map without the shaded relief (and without any transparency) in .ai and the shaded relief in pdf and then copy and paste in place the relief in my .ai file.

I play with transparency and multiply from there.

Always have good results!

Good luck!

Mapper_Mac

Mapper_Mac

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

The best way I have found to paint a hillshade is to drape a Digital Elevation Model (DEM) over the top of the hillshade. Then you can choose the terrain color ramp or customize your own. This is easy to do in ArcGIS, just make sure that the DEM is on top of your hillshade in the layers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->