• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi,

What software are you guys using to manage notes and scribbles? I have previously used a wiki for a lot of notes about data sources, software tricks and interesting finds on the Internet, and I have liked it a lot. But I have also used OneNote (part of MS Office) a bit on my laptop for managing meeting notes and scribbles. Now I am looking for a more unified solution...

Part of the problem is that I alternating between two computers - one at the office and my laptop (which is a tablet PC) - both running Windows. It would be nice to have a solution that is accessible and up-to-date between the both machines, but also available off-line. But one can't have everything...

What I like about the wiki - I have been using a custom ColdFusion-based softare - is that it is very easy to create a non-hierarchical cloud of notes, and have them link to each other. Being web/server-based it is also accessible whenever you are online. I don't think the wiki-solution would be ideal for e.g. meeting notes though.

As far as I can see in OneNote, it is not as easy to have small entries and link them - it is more structured (but also easy to search). The problem with OneNote is also that synchronising notebooks between computers requires some hacks.

For now I think I'll continue with meeting notes in OneNote and random scribbles in wiki - unless anyone has any good suggestions... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

What software are you guys using to manage notes and scribbles?

I use hardware to manage it: an old-fashioned paper notebook. Works great, platform independent, low battery consumption and all :)

All kidding aside, while it doesn't offer an easy way to link notes together, or search them, it works out great for me especially if I have to sketch out little diagrams and stuff.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hans, my work is split up a bit between home and office (and traveling), and I am not so keen on any paper solution. OneNote is a bit similar to an old-fashioned notebook (but possible to copy and backup etc). But I still like the interconnected-cloud idea of a wiki.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->