2 replies to this topic

yuletide

yuletide

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

Hey everyone,
Been a while since I posted anything here, and had some old stuff sitting around waiting for fresh eyes, so here it is:

Historical U.S. Census Data: Black Population 1960-2000 in 6 metro areas
All data processes/prep, cartography and animation/UI coding was done by me for a course last spring. Basically intended to be a proof of concept, and an excuse to learn flash :-)

Data is from the incredible National Historic GIS http://nhgis.org with a bunch of post-processing to bring the older census data into 2000 tract boundaries (tracts change over time). I used a technique known as Cascading Density Weighting for that. The great majority of my time went into data prep, unfortunately, but the maps came out alright I think? I have New York lying around waiting to be uploaded, since it brought Flash to its knees before I could squeeze it in.

LINK: http://alexyule.com/flash/census/

heath b

heath b

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:the great outdoors, bouldering, martinis, unusual graphical representation
  • United States

Hey, that's pretty cool. I've been toying with the idea of doing something similar but adding in urban renewal projects so that you could possibly track the gentrification associated with these projects. I was also wondering how to realign the census tract boundaries. I'll look into the Cascading Density Weighting formula.

What do the burgundy lines represent?

Heath

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Nice. Why is Chicago at such a wonky angle?

Does everyone know about Social Explorer? Here's their New York series.

As for urban renewal areas, I tried to do this for one of the maps in the Encyclopedia of Chicago. The problem was that by the end of the program in the early 70s, the areas had become enormous, covering huge swaths of the city. I think during the Johnson or Nixon years there were federal funds that had to be spent in "urban renewal areas." The small assembly-and-writedown redevelopment areas of the early years were impossible to distinguish from the later, enormous conservation areas.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->