6 replies to this topic

wanglin

wanglin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austria

Hi All,

For my final highschool Geo project, I had to collect data (involving the comparison between the distribution of two different types of shops in relation to the density of pedestrians) in the central district of Vienna, Austria. Now I have to process all the data collected on the computer. I've researched a little into GIS, but have found it very confusing up to now.

Basically, the data I have are as follows:
-mean centre calculations of the two different types of shops across the whole of the 1st district
-nearest neighbour index (NNI) for the two shops again across the whole district
-index of dispersion for the two shops
-spearman's rank calculation for the pedestrian density against distance from the PLVI

What I want to do:
-find a good, editable map of the 1st destrict of Vienna
-label the areas of study on that map
-plot points on the map to show the points where data had been collected
-1cm by 1cm grid to show the calculation of the mean centre
-lining all the points on the pedestrian density map to the PLVI of the city
-create isopleth maps for the shops and the pedestirans

I would like the final result to have a professional flair to it and so I could never be more grateful to you if you could advise me on how exactly I should go about processing this data onto the computer.

Any bit of help regarding to what GIS program I could use, tutorials links, map links,... ANYTHING would be very, very welcome.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Wanglin,

First of all I've moved your post to the GIS section.

How much GIS experience do you have so far? If you're starting at square one, something like Microsoft MapPoint could be interesting to check out. It's a bit of a business-GIS and comes with street data for Europe (if you get the European version). This would solve your base map issue.

What is the PLVI?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

wanglin

wanglin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austria

Hi Wanglin,

First of all I've moved your post to the GIS section.

How much GIS experience do you have so far? If you're starting at square one, something like Microsoft MapPoint could be interesting to check out. It's a bit of a business-GIS and comes with street data for Europe (if you get the European version). This would solve your base map issue.

What is the PLVI?

No problem, I have close to no experience. Although I do know how to use Illustrator.
PLVI is the Peak Land Value Intersection, which basically means the point in the city where the land rental fee is the highest, most often occurs in the CBD of the city.

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out.

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

If you know how to use Illustrator, it would probably be easiest for you to just draw a basic map of the primary streets by tracing over a map from the city or an online map from Google or live.com. How big is the First District? I might be willing to help, as a way to learn more about Vienna (my future home, I hope).
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Gorky

Gorky

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello Wanglin,

if you are doing non-commerical work at a secondary school for higher education ("Gymnasium") your school can get the very detailed shapefiles from the vienna rathaus (stadtvermessung) for free . (as far as I know this deal is not valid for universities and "fachhochschulen")

regards

gorky

ps if your final high school project it what in german is called "fachbereichsarbeit" your school is definitly qualified for free use of the shapefiles. perhaps you already know the following free software-products: kosmo gis and quantum gis, which in my humble opinion are powerful and easy to use. both of course can read shapefiles

Edited by Gorky, 11 November 2008 - 12:45 PM.

wanglin

wanglin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austria

The first district is really only about 2-3 kmĀ². Quite small.

wanglin

wanglin

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Austria

Hello Wanglin,

if you are doing non-commerical work at a secondary school for higher education ("Gymnasium") your school can get the very detailed shapefiles from the vienna rathaus (stadtvermessung) for free . (as far as I know this deal is not valid for universities and "fachhochschulen")

regards

gorky

ps if your final high school project it what in german is called "fachbereichsarbeit" your school is definitly qualified for free use of the shapefiles. perhaps you already know the following free software-products: kosmo gis and quantum gis, which in my humble opinion are powerful and easy to use. both of course can read shapefiles

Thanks, that's very informative. Unfortunately, I attend an international, thus private school, so I am not sure if this deal applies as well. But I shall ask my school at the soonest opportunity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->