8 replies to this topic

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

I'm working on developing this terrain rendering for the base of an oblique cartographic illustration of Western Maui/Haleakala and am posting it here for (1) an early critique before I begin compiling on it, and (2) to find out whom else on this board has experience and/or interest in such types of projects.

rob

Attached File  Haleakala_v3.0_web.jpg   76.17KB   200 downloads

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Rob,

This looks good. My only comments are nitpicky.
You could lighten the shadows up slightly so there will be more contrast with vector elements you might add. Also, while I am a fan of subtle muted colors, I think in this case you coul dmake the greens "pop" a little more to give it that lush Hawaiian feel. Maybe shift the grrens just a smidge more towards the yellow end and away from blue.

What software did you use?

Nice work!

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

I've been jumping back and forth between colors for the whole image from day one. After looking at it again tonight, I think the Haleakala crater/valley area could also probably be more red/orange, and will try your suggestions on the green. thanks.

I used a VNS2 color map drape, based on Patterson's method for natural earth coloring (fyi he uses Bryce). Registration was off about 20 meters, but I forced a hard coastline with a vector and PS'd the rest. I had 8 classes of land cover reduced from the 16+ of the original sat. data set. I'd like to eventually get a nice ocean texture and some haze too.

I originally photoshoped out the roads thinking that creating rasterized vectors via AI would be cleaner, but am now second guessing that choice because how the sat. data might overlay the topograhy, and will try that soon (or as time permits :).

appreciate the comments.

rob

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

looks nice! The coastline looks a little bit weird though.

I have never heard of the island in question -- and there is no sense of scale, but how realistic is the vertical exaggeration, it is not a bit too much?

/Hugo
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the comments Hugo.

Have you heard of Hawaii? Maui is the second largest island and a very popular tourist destination.

VE is 175%.

I'll have to think about the scale idea and how the audience might interpret it. I think all of them will have a general familiarity with the island.

rob

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

sure I have heard of hawaii. From my studies in geology, the hawaiian islands were examples of 'shield volcanos' (more flatter volcanos, with a different kind of volcanic matter, in contrast to stratovolcanos and cindercones) -- so I have imagined them more gently sloping. I just a feel, from your image, that the vertical exagg is a bit too high (the slopes look higher or close to the angle of repose)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

bchubb

bchubb

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Painting
  • Canada

Rob,

I like the landmass, but the blue feels a little cold to me. (Then..... I've never been to Hawaii :rolleyes: so maybe it's just fine) Also, perhaps a little more space at the bottom? and maybe even lighten the blue close to the island to give a feeling of shallower water and/or sand (if appropriate)?

Cheers,
Bryan

bryanchubb.ca
My paintings (...and no, my Avatar is Vera by Fredrick Varley)

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Rob,
I think this looks really good. I would definitely play around with the colors in and around the crater...your idea of using a bit more orange/red is a good one. In many places the crater is almost a deep purple/rust red. Maybe by adding a bit of blue/grey tones in addition to the red/orange you could capture some of those "volcanic" colors. Overal the natural coloring looks very good.

I've spent a lot more time on the "Lahaina" side of the island (lowlands) looking towards the Haleakala crater, but I've never seen the crater from that side, which makes it difficult to guess if the vertical exageration is a bit too much. However, it does seem like the vertical could be taken down a little bit.

Is the smallest island shown Kahoolawe?

Nice work...Erin

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • United States

That island is Kahoolawe. I've been playing with the VE some but still haven't decided what I think best represents the topo. While a shield volcano, as pointed out by Hugo, it is quite dramatic, with steep inner valley walls as compared to Mauna Loa or Mauna Kea (as seen here http://www.3dnworld....php?user=RJames )

thanks for the comments, rob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->